Dou­glas fails Stu­dents exam against Dun­dalk

Bray People - - SPORT -

HUGHIE DOU­GLAS flunked his Stu­dents test this week as he en­dured a mis­er­able evening for UCD on Fri­day.

Aaron Cal­laghan’s side hosted ti­tle hope­fuls Dun­dalk at the Belfield Bowl and they threat­ened to up­set the odds as they took the lead through Gary Burke on 23 min­utes.

Their ad­van­tage re­mained in­tact thanks to Dou­glas on 30 min­utes as he saved the day af­ter Dun­dalk striker Pat Hoban had rounded Col­lege goal­keeper Conor O’Don­nell.

Dou­glas again de­nied the Li­ly­whites in the 43rd minute. He cleared off the line but it only pro­longed the in­evitable as sec­onds later, Daryl Hor­gan crossed for Hoban to head home the equaliser.

Hor­gan caused trou­ble for the hosts again in the 59th minute. His cross forced Dou­glas to act but un­for­tu­nately his des­per­ate clear­ance struck team­mate Mark Langtry and ended in the back of the net.

And Dou­glas’ mis­ery was com­pounded 11 min­utes from time. Hoban was charg­ing through on goal when he was fouled by Dou­glas, and he re­ceived a red card for his trou­bles.

Dou­glas’ fel­low red-head, Danny Led­with, also en­dured a frus­trat­ing evening.

The Ark­low men found him­self re­stored at left-back in Ian Bar­a­clough’s start­ing XI for the trip to Cork and he cer­tainly showed the man­ager what he was ca­pa­ble of.

On 21 min­utes, Aaron Greene de­liv­ered a cross from the right that Led­with caught on the vol­ley but Cork City goal­keeper Mark McNulty was equal to the ef­fort.

A cracking drive from Led­with early in the sec­ond pe­riod forced the shot-stopper into an­other fine save be­fore a de­light­ful through ball from Led­with re­leased Greene but he shot dis­ap­point­ingly wide with just the ‘keeper to beat.

Led­with was then with­drawn on 64 min­utes and his side’s mis­er­able start to the sea­son would con­tinue; Kieran Dji­lali fired them ahead on 88 min­utes but they were de­nied vic­tory as Billy Den­nehy con­verted a 93 rd minute penalty to equalise.

Late goals also proved de­ci­sive at Tal­laght Sta­dium as Sham­rock Rovers B took on Long­ford Town.

An in­jury in the warm-up ruled out Corie Treacy but Chris Lyons took his place up front for Colin Hawkins’ side.

For the Town, Davy O’Sul­li­van and Kevin O’Con­nor made the cut, while Rhys Gor­man and Wil­lie Tyrrell started on the bench.

It was a frus­trat­ing af­ter­noon’s work for O’Sul­li­van. He sent a half-vol­ley nar­rowly wide in the ninth minute, be­fore tee­ing up Gary Shaw for a near miss on 20 min­utes.

The home side then took the lead when for­mer Seag­ull Kevin Knight re­leased Lyons and he slot­ted home past Chris Ben­nion.

In the 34th minute, Sean Rus­sell’s cor­ner kick was met by O’Sul­li­van but goal­keeper Michael Kelly kept it out. The re­bound fell to Kevin O’Con­nor but his ef­fort was cleared off the line by Ryan Doolin.

O’Sul­li­van had an­other chance be­fore the break but his header from a Noel Haverty cross cleared the cross­bar.

Long­ford man­ager Tony Cousins in­tro­duced Grey­stones man Rhys Gor­man at the break and he had a bird’s eye view of O’Sul­li­van’s equaliser. O’Con­nor sent in the cor­ner kick and O’Sul­li­van was left un­marked and duly pun­ished the home side as he nod­ded home.

Shortly af­ter­wards, Lyons hob­bled off to be re­placed by Ryan Coombes.

Gor­man then teed up O’Sul­li­van but the striker’s 20-yard ef­fort tamely found the grate­ful arms of Kelly.

O’Sul­li­van then thought he’d stolen the points for his side a minute from time but his strike was ruled out for off­side.

And heart­break fol­lowed as ex-Town ace Daniel Purdy won it 2-1 for Rovers in the 93rd minute.

It was a week of in­ac­tiv­ity for Andy Mul­li­gan, Aaron Barry and Shane Mur­ray.

Mul­li­gan re­mains out through in­jury for Bo­hemi­ans, who slipped to a 0-1 de­feat to Lim­er­ick on Fridsy evening.

Barry and Mur­ray were both un­used sub­sti­tutes in their side’s re­spec­tive matches.

On Fri­day, Derry City over­came Athlone Town by three goals to two at the Brandy­well, while on Satur­day, Mur­ray’s Water­ford United drew 0-0 against lo­cal ri­vals Cobh Ram­blers.

UCD’s Hughie Dou­glas (in flight) en­dured a hor­ri­ble evening against Dun­dalk. Here he is in ac­tion against Sham­rock Rovers.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.