Pres boys en­joy re­sound­ing win

Bray People - - SPORT -


PRES BRAY Ju­nior Cup cap­tured the Le­in­ster Schools Ju­nior Cup Plate com­pe­ti­tion with a re­sound­ing vic­tory over St. Mary's Col­lege, Rath­mines last Wed­nes­day, the 2nd April.

Pres over­came their il­lus­tri­ous op­po­nents, heavy rain and a sticky pitch to play some scin­til­lat­ing rugby outscor­ing the home of Sex­ton, Dean, Ward and De­nis Hickie by four tries to two.

Play­ing with the wind in the first half Mary's used the con­di­tions to gain a li­ne­out in the Pres 22.

A driv­ing maul re­sulted in a try and things were look­ing good for Marys as they took an early five point lead. Un­daunted Pres came back.

With pow­er­house cen­tre Conor Ste­wart dom­i­nat­ing mid­field Marys were strug­gling to con­tain the Pres back­line.

Ste­wart broke the cover around the half way line and re­leased to full back Si­mon Power. Power drew the cover and put Cap­tain Scott How­erd away in the cor­ner. A mag­nif­i­cent con­ver­sion from Power gave Pres a two point lead.

With Marys us­ing con­di­tions well they again gained a foothold in the Pres 22 and fierce pres­sure re­sulted in a block down of a Pres clear­ance kick. The slip­pery con­di­tions made gath­er­ing the ball a lot­tery and Marys man­aged to take ad­van­tage scor­ing be­side the posts.

The con­ver­sion made it 12-7 to Marys and Pres had lit­tle re­ward for their dom­i­nance.

Un­fazed, Pres made their way up the pitch with some clever kick­ing from their half back pair­ing of Ryan and Myler.

Pres were awarded a penalty close to the Marys line and Ryan took the gam­ble to take the tap penalty rather than go to touch. It paid off as the diminu­tive num­ber 9 sped through a gap in the fringe de­fence and lev­elled the score. The con­ver­sion put Pres in the lead 14-12.

As half time ap­proached Pres fans were con­fi­dent that the ben­e­fit of the wind in the sec­ond half would of­fer them great ad­van­tage but a bizarre ref­er­ee­ing de­ci­sion cost Pres the lead. Ad­judg­ing that a Pres de­fender had moved from a missed Mary's penalty at­tempt the ref or­dered a re­take. The Mary's kicker duly slot­ted home his sec­ond bite and Pres went in at half time be­hind by a point.

As if en­er­gised by that de­ci­sion Pres emerged in the sec­ond half with real in­tent.

Quickly, us­ing the wind to es­tab­lish field po­si­tion, they forced Marys to play on the back foot. A des­per­ate clear­ance kick by Mary's landed in the arms of Pres dan­ger man Power. From 40 yards out he scythed through the op­po­si­tion de­fence to score un­der the sticks.-a bril­liant solo ef­fort from a very fine player.

Pres put clear light be­tween the two teams shortly af­ter when fol­low­ing a li­ne­out on the half way they mauled their way fully 40 yards to­wards the line. With Mary's de­fend­ers sucked in to try and hold up the charge Pres re­leased the ball to their backs. Ste­wart held off two chal­lenges and popped the ball off to the sup­port­ing Power who can­tered over un­der the posts for his sec­ond. With a suc­cess­ful con­ver­sion Pres were now 13 points up.

Mary's threw ev­ery­thing at the de­fence in vain and as the fi­nal whis­tle blew Pres play­ers and sup­port­ers erupted in spon­ta­neous cel­e­bra­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.