Flood work ready to go to ten­der

Bray People - - NEWS -

THE flood de­fence works on the River Dar­gle are to go to ten­der, with Bray Town Coun­cil and the OPW hav­ing agreed plans to ad­vance the scheme.

The project un­der con­trac­tors SIAC col­lapsed last year. The €27 mil­lion scheme should have been com­plete by Oc­to­ber 2014.

‘ Of­fi­cials have con­firmed that the OPW and the Coun­cil will be is­su­ing about 16 ten­ders in the next four weeks to carry out works in re­la­tion to the flood scheme,’ said Cllr. David Grant.

One of these ten­ders is for the ap­point­ment of a Con­struc­tion Man­ager with ex­ten­sive ex­pe­ri­ence in the area of flood de­fence works.

Cllr. Grant ex­plained that It is ex­pected that these ten­ders will be back in time to al­low works in the river com­mence around July 1 and for the rest of the sea­son that works are al­lowed in river. Other project works, that are be­ing ten­dered for now, will con­tinue out of river from Oc­to­ber on­wards.

The Coun­cil it­self has also taken up the role of Com­mu­nity Li­ai­son con­tact that has been left va­cant fol­low­ing the with­drawal of the con­trac­tor from the site.

‘ This is an im­por­tant de­vel­op­ment as the res­i­dents have been left with no di­rect con­tact to the project since the end of last year,’ said Cllr. Grant.

‘It is good to see the com­mit­ment to com­plet­ing the River Dar­gle Flood De­fence Scheme, but it must be fol­lowed through.

‘Res­i­dents are scep­ti­cal and un­til such time as works recom­mence con­fi­dence in the project will re­main low.’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.