O’Sul­li­van re­gains his pre­cious crown


DAVY O’SUL­LI­VAN has re­gained his crown for the time be­ing. The Wick­low Town na­tive got back on the goal trail as he fired Long­ford Town to three points at the City Call­ing Sta­dium on Satur­day evening.

The Town side was lit­tered with men from the Gar­den County as they picked up a 1-0 win over Finn Harps. Wil­lie Tyrell manned the de­fence, Kevin O’Con­nor and Rhys Gor­man pro­vided spark and guile in mid­field, while O’Sul­li­van pro­vided the win­ner up front.

A handball by a Harps de­fender in the 25th minute saw the hosts award a penalty and Charles­land dweller O’Sul­li­van man­aged to squeeze his spot kick be­yond the dive of Conor Winn to earn his side the win.

Danny Led­with was also cel­e­brat­ing be­ing on the score­sheet this week. Tried out in his orig­i­nal role of mid­field against UCD on Fri­day, the left-footer rev­elled and en­joyed a hat­ful of chances, one of which he took with dev­as­tat­ing ef­fect.

Aaron Greene chipped the ball into the Led­with and from a tight an­gle, he ploughed home a vol­ley at the back post.

Ear­lier, Led­with had been sent through on goal by Greene but was de­nied by Conor O’Don­nell and the Ark­low man en­joyed sev­eral other chances against his for­mer side but had to make do with the one strike.

On Mon­day evening, the Bit O’Red were on the road and Da­ly­mount Park was their des­ti­na­tion.

Al­though Andy Mul­li­gan was not in Owen Heary’s plans, Led­with re­tained his place in mid­field and played his part in his side’s 0-2 suc­cess.

Mul­li­gan had togged out on Fri­day as the Gyp­sies fell to city ri­vals St. Patrick’s Ath­letic. Mul­li­gan started on the left wing and wit­nessed first-hand Ja­son Byrne’s sen­sa­tional opener but Bohs would go on to lose 3-1 and Mul­li­gan was re­placed at half time by Karl Moore.

UCD’s Hughie Dou­glas had a sim­i­lar ex­pe­ri­ence to Mul­li­gan. He was forced to sit out the drub­bing at the hands of Sligo as he served the last game of his sus­pen­sion but he re­claimed his cen­tre half po­si­tion on Mon­day for the 0-1 loss to league lead­ers Cork City.

Billy Den­nehy struck early for the Leesiders and it would have been 0-2 in the 55th minute when Garry Buck­ley got a touch to Brian Leni­han’s cross, but Dou­glas made a vi­tal in­ter­cep­tion to keep it out.

Derry City’s Aaron Barry had plenty of de­fen­sive work to do as well as his side kept two clean sheets over the weekend. Un­for­tu­nately for the Candys­tripes, their op­po­nents – Bray Wan­der­ers and Lim­er­ick – kept clean sheets also.

Barry starred at the Carlisle Grounds on Fri­day night as City held Wan­der­ers to stale­mate and then on Mon­day, Barry was switched to left back and was with­drawn af­ter 67 min­utes of City’s 0-0 with Lim­er­ick at the Brandy­well.

Barry’s for­mer Sh­effield United team-mate Shane Mur­ray seems to be turn­ing the tide. Now back to full fit­ness, he caused Sham­rock Rovers B plenty of prob­lems with his set-piece de­liv­ery at the RSC on Fri­day evening.

In the end, Water­ford picked up a 1-0 win over the Hoops, who had Corie Treacy back in de­fence but were miss­ing the in­jured Chris Lyons.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.