AFTER Black Satur­day when we had four walk-overs and no matches played, re­demp­tion came from a most un­likely source.

The Un­der-20 foot­ball cham­pi­onship was sched­uled to start in Bal­li­nakill on Sun­day but for fix­tures boss Mick Ha­gan it was a case of hop­ing for the best.

Four teams turned up which was dis­ap­point­ing but it turned out to be the ideal num­ber for a sud­den death com­pe­ti­tion.

It turned out to be a day in a mil­lion; two semi-fi­nals and a fi­nal played in near per­fect con­di­tions. Bless­ing­ton pick up another cup for an over­loaded side­board and ev­ery­one went home happy.


An email this week from a long-time friend in Ark­low, Pat Fitzger­ald to fill us in on the names of the Ark­low Geral­dine’s team that on the Gre­nane Cup back some years ago.

Many of the team would have player on the team beaten by Balt­in­glass – 2-7 to 2-5 in the county SFC fi­nal of 1963. We are glad to get the names of the play­ers, thanks to Pat – but that raised more ques­tions – any­one know any­thing about the Gre­nane Cup or where it may be now?

‘I will haz­ard a guess at the Ark­low Geral­dine’s of 1964 as ap­peared in the Wick­low Peo­ple of Novem­ber 12

Back row, left to right: Sean McGrath, Tom Neill, Colm Byrne, Paddy Leonard, Matt Cur­ran. Paddy Den­nehy, Frank Travers, Tony Ri­ley.

Mid­dle row: left to right - Dan Wead­ick, Michael Braud­ers, Joe Mc El­heron, Sea­mus Bracken, ?, Tom Clandil­lon, Joe Don­nelly, Paddy Gar­vey.

Front row: John McDon­ald, Gerry Byrne.

Pak Kin­sella was peer­ing in from the left. I could be wrong on one or two.

Many of the team have passed to their eter­nal re­ward over the in­ter­ven­ing years. Re­gards Pat Fitzger­ald’.


Tommy Glynn was one of a num­ber of peo­ple to name the team in last week’s pa­per and in this email he fills in the de­tails -

‘Peter, your photo this week is a handy one for me to name, as I would have played with and against all the play­ers in it, in ei­ther foot­ball or hurl­ing.

‘It is a Rath­new Se­nior foot­ball team of the late 1960s. The year and oc­ca­sion is a bit harder to call, but as you rarely got a photo in the pa­per then un­less you got to a fi­nal am go­ing for 1968, and the Rath­new team that was beaten by Kil­bride in the Dunne Cup fi­nal.

‘I think Joe Ja­cob might have been cap­tain, and it wasn’t a very happy oc­ca­sion for Joe, be­cause apart from los­ing I think he broke his arm while try­ing a Sean Do­herty type tackle on Peter Clarke.

‘Sadly six of that team are no longer with us. Joe Duffy, Nick Marah, Murt Doyle, the Melia brothers, Charlie and Kevin, and Tommy Murphy.

‘The majority of th­ese lads were on the Rath­new team that won the Se­niorc-Cham­pi­onship in 1970. Pat Marah was cap­tain.

‘Sadly Tommy Murphy who was only in his early 20s passed away early that year. Tommy who was a brother of Har­rys was a fine foot­baller, and a great fielder of the high ball around the mid­dle of the park.

‘He had played Mi­nor for the county in 1965 against Kil­dare along with Andy Jame­son, Kevin Melia and Johnny McDon­ald, and no doubt he would have had a long county ca­reer at Se­nior level.

‘Peter, I didn’t get to you about the Gle­nealy Mi­nor teams of the early 1960s, with the few sad weeks we had in the vil­lage, but I will try and knock some­thing to­gether for next week. ‘Re­gards, ‘Tommy’.

You are spot on Tommy. It was the Dunne Cup fi­nal in which Kil­bride beat Rath­new. Ex­cept that the date we got for that match was 1969.


Back row: Mosey Cof­fey, Tom Kelly, Murt Doyle, Andy Jame­son, Kevin Melia, John Dowling, Tommy Murphy, Nick Marah.

Front row: An­thony Doyle, Johnny McDon­ald, Joe Duffy, Joe Ja­cob, Peter Kear­ney, Mick Duffy, Charlie Melia, Pat Marah, Mick Lam­bert.

My old friend ‘Mitch’ was another to name all the play­ers in the pic­ture but like Tommy he was not quite sure of the year or the oc­ca­sion

Another email from Denise (prob­a­bly Ka­vanagh) sim­ply said ‘Last week’s pic­ture was of a Rath­new team’.

But later she came back with all the names ex­cept Tommy Kelly – sec­ond from the left – back.

That came as no sur­prise – Tommy was far bet­ter known for his skills as a hurler and won Le­in­ster Ju­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onships with Wick­low – but a good shot Denise.


(About a Wick­low VS team of yes­ter­year) - This is a story that no one tells about what County Vo­ca­tional Foot­ball was like in the early days.

It hap­pened be­fore the of­fi­cial Vo­ca­tional Schools com­mit­tee was formed in 1968. There was a com­pe­ti­tion go­ing on in Le­in­ster at the time and Wick­low de­cided to put in a team in 1963.

A young cu­rate from Car­low town, Fr Der­mot McDer­mott, was in Balt­in­glass at the time and was the Chair­man of the group in­volved.

Wick­low were drawn against Car­low and the venue was Balt­in­glass. No ref turned up so Fr. Mac was landed with his first prob­lem.

It was mid-week and not many around but some­how he man­aged to lo­cate a man known to his friends as ‘the Tiger’. He was a good enough ref and was do­ing a nice enough job up to half time – but then the fun and games started.

Some of his pals got to know

Can you iden­tify the above team? If so con­tact Peter on 087 6907589 or email pe­terkeogh­ what was go­ing on and headed for Dan Ke­hoe’s field on the banks of the Slaney where the match was go­ing on.

Car­low, it should be added, were lead­ing by a cou­ple of points at the time.

At half time they lam­basted the poor ‘Tiger’. “What sort of Wick­low man are you?” – ‘The chaps try­ing their best and you giv­ing them noth­ing – you should be ashamed of your­self’.

The sec­ond half was a dif­fer­ent mat­ter. The ‘Tiger’ was a full blooded Wick­low man; he almost got in and played with the teams.

He gave a free in a scorable po­si­tion – for what no one could see. A Car­low sup­porter shouted ‘take it your­self, ref”.

Fr. Mac was spot­ted get­ting in to his car; some­one asked where he was go­ing – ‘I am needed back at the parochial house – it may be a sick call’.

If there was any­one sick it was surely the good ‘padre’ him­self. Car­low men­tors threat­ened to take their team off the field on a num­ber of oc­ca­sions but some­how the match did fin­ish with Car­low hang­ing on to win be a point or two.

Nei­ther Fr. Mac nor the ‘Tiger’ were ever seen at Vo­ca­tional Schools matches again.


Just to give bal­ance to that story we look back at the men that formed the first GAA Games Com­mit­tee in the schools and lifted Vo­ca­tional Schools foot­ball to new and un­dreamt of heights in Wick­low.

The found­ing mem­bers were Gerry McIn­tyre (Bless­ing­ton), Fr Tormey (Dunlavin), Dave Hal­lo­ran (Balt­in­glass), Kevin Lee (Carnew), Hugh O’Brien (Rath­drum) and Des Ro­han (Wick­low).

Gerry McIn­tyre was the first sec­re­tary but Hugh O’Brien be­came the first long-serv­ing sec­re­tary and re­mained in that post for 15 years.

They were later joined by other great pro­mot­ers of Gaelic games like Gerry O’Donoghue, and Ark­low man Jim Murphy, who even in re­tire­ment is still an ac­tive worker on the foot­ball front.

And of course they were fol­low­ers by big hit­ters like Frank Camp­bell, Ken Browne and Fer­gal Boyle all of whom led Wick­low to All-Ire­land glory.

Of course there many oth­ers who gave freely of their time and re­sources to pro­mote the games at sec­ond level in the Gar­den County.

How­ever, that is a story that we hope will be penned by peo­ple bet­ter equipped for the task.


The sad mo­ment at the county ju­ve­nile con­ven­tion, held in the county build­ings in Aughrim on Thurs­day was when one of the long serv­ing of­fi­cers Pat Mitchell bade ev­ery­one good bye. Pat had served this board and in­deed the county adult board for many years in sev­eral roles.

He was Ed­die Leonard’s side­kick as fix­tures maker on the Ju­ve­nile front in re­cent times as well as serv­ing at county PRO for the last five years.

Out­side of his of­fi­cial du­ties Pat al­ways found time to help out ev­ery­one else in­volved in ev­ery way pos­si­ble.

His cheery voice and smil­ing face will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

En­joy a well-earned rest Pat, old friend.


We went through the in­ter-county hap­pen­ings in other ad­di­tions and they cer­tainly did not make pleas­ant read­ing. Los­ing on the dou­ble to neigh­bours Car­low does not leave many pleas­ant mem­o­ries (Even now I can hear voices plead­ing ‘would you ever stop re­mind­ing us’).

How­ever 50 years ago it was, as nearly al­ways, the club front that brought the big ex­cite­ment.

I964 was another year when the Chair­man of the day Hugh Byrne of Rath­dan­gan handed over the cov­eted cup to new, first time cham­pi­ons New­town.

In many ways the lit­tle vil­lage with the long name (which it was at the time) pulled off the big­gest shock in a fi­nal since Kil­coole beat the might men of St. Pat’s in a fi­nal 10 years ear­lier.

The ‘Mag­pies’ first ap­peared in a win­ner’s en­clo­sure in 1946 when they won a Ju­nior foot­ball cham­pi­onship.

They won another ti­tle in that grade in 1951 and it took then another ten years be­fore step­ping up another grade be win­ning the IFC in 1961.

So it came as no sur­prise that out­side their own parish few gave them a chance of stop­ping the reign­ing cham­pi­ons Balt­in­glass. But stop them they did – and in some­what dra­matic fash­ion.

Balt­in­glass had chalked up their first goal be­fore the new­com­ers re­alised the game was on. That sort of start can some­times dam­age hot favourites more than up­set out­siders who were ex­pect­ing to have to deal with that sort of sit­u­a­tion and that is ex­actly whet hap­pened.

By half time New­town were in front by 2-1 to 2-0 and even Balt­in­glass knew they had a fight on their hands. With eight min­utes to go Balt­in­glass were two points up and all set to re­tain their ti­tle.

Then Tommy Green struck for his third goal and the fat was in the fire again.

Balt­in­glass lev­elled once more and a draw looked on the cards when Ea­monn Doyle went on a solo through the de­fence and drew a foul.

It was a dif­fi­cult free but Doyle earned his place in his­tory by send­ing it straight and true be­tween the posts.

The great ‘Fitz’ Moules blew his fi­nal whis­tle shortly after the kick out and the Chair­man of the day, Hugh Byrne, pre­sented the cup to the new cham­pi­ons.

The team that made his­tory 50 years ago lined out like this: Sean Greene; Ed­die Far­rell, Johnny Cooper, Jack Martin; Tommy Moody, An­thony Doyle John Moody, Paddy Pef­man, John Carthy, Sea­mus Power, Bob Dwyer, Peter Hef­fer­nan, Ea­monn Doyle, Tommy Green and Ol­lie El­lis. Sub: Pat Doyle.

Oth­ers to play a part in­cluded – Sean Doyle, Paddy Hef­fer­nan, Sea­mus Far­rell, Mick Car­roll, Noel Doyle, Pat Davis and Jim Sin­nott.

Like most vil­lage clubs the re­ally big day only comes around once in a while.

When New­town’s came again it was in 1976 when they beat Rath­new in the fi­nal.

So when a New­town man tells you that his club only won the SFC on two oc­ca­sions he is likely to add – but we picked the two great­est clubs in the county to beat on the day.


The sud­den death of Barn­dar­rig and St. Pa­trick’s hurler Thomas Keogh shocked east Wick­low last week.

Tommy was a ded­i­cated GAA man and his favourite game was hurl­ing.

The big mo­ment in a long play­ing ca­reer came in 1983 when he cap­tained St. Pa­trick’s of Wick­low town to vic­tory in the In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship fi­nal.

One of the gifts brought to the al­tar in Barn­dar­rig Church on Thurs­day was a photo of Tommy re­ceiv­ing the cup from the then Chair­man Peter Keogh.

Tommy’s re­mains were en­tered in his lo­cal ceme­tery after re­quiem Mass on Thurs­day. Our sym­pa­thy

The New­town team men­tioned in the ‘Back Once More to 64’ sec­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.