Drama as Glens earn draw with late strike

Dra­matic cli­max as equaliser is scored in 98th minute

Bray People - - SPORT - ERIC MELIA at Glen­cor­mac



AN ex­cit­ing game was me­an­der­ing to a Grey­stones vic­tory be­fore a chaotic last 15 min­utes turned this en­counter on its head.

For 85 min­utes it was a look­ing like a hard-earned vic­tory for Grey­stones with goals from Oisin Keogh and Josh Daven­port giv­ing them an ad­van­tage, then ref­eree Do­minic Lauchesse took cen­tre stage.

Firstly he sent off Jason Healy for a last man tackle, then awarded Glen­cor­mac a du­bi­ous penalty that Josh O’Cal­laghan con­verted be­fore more drama saw Mark De­lahunty with a goal chalked off for off­side, a con­tentious hand ball on the line be­fore Nathan Waters struck with the last kick of the game in the 98th minute of play to earn the home side a point.

Grey­stones started brightly and dom­i­nated pos­ses­sion and ter­ri­tory early on.

With Oisin Keogh and Ben Traynor caus­ing havoc down the right they penned Glen­cor­mac into their half for the first 20 min­utes of the game.

Jason Healy op­er­at­ing in a with­drawn num­ber 10 role was dic­tat­ing play and they com­pletely bossed the early stages.

Early ef­forts by Daven­port, Jake Kelly and Healy just missed the tar­get for the visi­tors.

On 14 min­utes a del­i­cate through ball by Healy saw him free Jake Kelly who swiftly turned inside and he was taken down by a trail­ing leg from a Glen­cor­mac de­fender giv­ing ref­eree Lauchesse no choice other than to award a penalty.

Up stood cen­tre for­ward Keith Suther­land to send Glen­cor­mac keeper Ash O’Cal­laghan the wrong way but un­for­tu­nately for him he hit the out­side of the post.

This re­prieve seemed to stun Glen­cor­mac into ac­tion and driven on by broth­ers Luke and Ben O’Cal­laghan they got a foothold.

Ex Rath­new player John Dun­leavy had two de­cent ef­forts for the hosts.

The first flash­ing across the Grey­stones goal, the sec­ond well smoth­ered by keeper Bar­tosz Stenka.

Nathan Waters also had an ef­fort well saved by Stenka when he per­haps had more time than he thought.

A back and forth en­counter saw Grey­stones with good chances spurned by Suther­land and Healy and Glen­cor­mac with long dis­tance shots from Luke O’Cal­laghan and Waters not test­ing Stenka.

The teams re­tired to half-time with no fur­ther chances.

Grey­stones sent on star player and ex Glen­cor­mac player Mukoro Gbereu­bie at half-time and his speed and skill made an im­me­di­ate im­pact on pro­ceed­ings.

Firstly, a jink­ing run through the home side’s de­fence saw his ef­fort par­ried by O’Cal­laghan; the fol­low up shot by Kelly was ac­ro­bat­i­cally tipped over by the scram­bling keeper.

Glen­cor­mac con­tin­ued to threaten, mainly from dead balls, with Paul Devlin guilty of some missed open­ings.

Even­tu­ally the goal the game de­served came.

A bounc­ing ball to­wards Healy saw him flick over his shoul­der to Grey­stones dan­ger­man Keogh who one on one with the on­rush­ing O’Cal­laghan made no mis­take with a beau­ti­fully clipped fin­ish be­yond the keeper.

On 70 min­utes the visi­tors dou­bled their ad­van­tage, that man Healy de­liv­ered a driven cor­ner into the area and Josh Daven­port bul­leted a header past the Glen­cor­mac keeper.

Glen­cor­mac laid siege to the Grey­stones goal and it lived a charmed life.

Chances came and went. It just did not look like the hosts day till the chaotic clos­ing stages.

Glen­cor­mac had pow­er­ful dis­plays by the O’Cal­laghan broth­ers and Waters, Grey­stones were in­spired by Healy and Traynor but man of the match in this writer’s opin­ion was Oisin Keogh who was a con­stant thorn in Glen­cor­macs side.

GLEN­COR­MAC UNITED: 1. Ash­ley O’Cal­laghan, 2. Stephen Kir­wan, 3. Mark De­lahunty, 4. Luke O’Cal­laghan, 5. Sean Holly, 6. Mick Rooney, 7. John Dun­leavy,

8. Ben O’Cal­laghan, 9. Nathan Waters, 10. Paul Devlin, 11. Barry McGovern. Subs: 12. Alan Hill, 13. Owen Mol­loy, 14. Dave Kelly,

15. Sam O’Cal­laghan, 16. Si­mon Doyle.

GREY­STONES UNITED: 1. Bar­tosz Sten- ka, 2. Ben Traynor, 3. Stephen McCann,

4. Eoin Darcy, 5. Eoin Cor­ri­gan, 6. Dave Mol­loy, 7. Oisin Keogh, 8. Josh Daven­port,

9. Keith Suther­land, 10. Jason Healy, 11. Jake Kelly. Subs: 12. Kevin O’Rourke, 13. Mukoro Gbereu­bie, 14. Shane McCor­mack, 15. Sean Traynor.

REF­EREE: D. Lauchesse

Glen­cor­mac United, who staged a dra­matic late fight­back to earn a point.

Grey­stones United, who shared the spoils with Glen­cor­mac United in their Di­vi­sion 2 clash.

Paul Devlin of Glen­cor­mac United is tracked by Grey­stones trio Eoin Cor­ri­gan, Josh Daven­port and Eoin Darcy.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.