The Bil­lies run riot

Sec­ond half blitz ends Carnew’s cham­pi­onship hopes

Bray People - - SPORT -


BAL­LY­MANUS took on Carnew in a cold Rath­new on Mon­day night last in the D’Arcy Sand I.F.C. quar­ter-fi­nal.

There was a breeze that would blow the milk out of your tea but that wasn’t go­ing to stop Paddy Mol­loy’s and Doc Darcy’s men from get­ting on with busi­ness.

It was the Bil­lies who drew first blood with a driv­ing run from Padraig Byrne who found Kevin Byrne to slot over.

The kick out found Adrian My­ers who was play­ing out around the mid­dle as he was tasked with the job of fol­low­ing roam­ing cor­ner for­ward Ciaran Whe­lan.

My­ers found space and headed up the field but was fouled and John Ka­vangh took it a fine score from some dis­tance out. Not long af­ter that Ka­vanagh had an­other.

Carnew were look­ing the sharper with the two McCreas very alert when on the ball and they ex­tended the lead to 0-04 to 0-01 with 10 min­utes on the clock.

The Bil­lies needed to do some­thing and quick. Padraig Byrne came deep for the kick out which he won. He found Roan Lynch who took off like a rat out of a trap and was pulled down, yel­low card for the Carnew man.

With a stiff breeze in his face, Ciaran Whe­lan steps up and kicks a mon­ster from the right hand side of the field - this was no easy task – and he drops it over the bar.

Again the kick-out goes long and finds Niall Os­borne who was play­ing with num­ber 12 on his back, a lit­tle out of po­si­tion for him on a nor­mal day.

Os­borne finds Brendan McCrea, he sells his man with a solo, turns to his left, and kicks a humdinger of a score.

There was a few heavy ex­changes around the mid­dle and the ref­eree despatched a few yel­lows to set­tle things down.

A break­ing ball finds Lynch, he takes off again and Carnew have no an­swer to his pace and it’s an­other score for him.

It’s end to end stuff. Dar­ragh O’Ke­effe wins a mark from the kick-out, passes to Lynch, an­other score.

Mark Kenny looked starved in the full-for­ward line so he swaps with Padraig Byrne and he makes an im­pact straight away with a solo run, avoid­ing four tack­les and float­ing it over to leave it 0-05 each.

Carnew came on the charge again with Brendan McCrea but he didn’t see Niall Os­borne in an acre of space and a goal chance went a beg­ging.

It was all Roan Lynch in the first half and again he was fouled and Whe­lan tagged on an­other and Carnew needed to stop foul­ing when the likes of Ciaran Whe­lan is in fine form.

Half-time saw the score­board read­ing 0-07to 0-06 in favour of the Bil­lies.

Carnew were well in the game at this stage, or so they thought. As the sec­ond half got un­der­way, Dar­ragh O’Ke­effe found Padraig Byrne who lifted the net out of it with a su­perb goal.

Carnew looked rat­tled from the start of the sec­ond pe­riod and Whe­lan added an­other point from a 45.

Carnew made a dou­ble change, Sean Kin­sella for Niall Os­borne and Mark Collins for Paul Nolan, but worse was yet to come as Padraig Byrne got on the end of a long ball in to fist to the net for goal num­ber two for the county man.

Cor­mac Doyle took the kick-out and Mark Kenny won the break and fed Padraig Byrne who rat­tled the cross­bar. The ball spills to Kevin Byrne and the Bil­lies had goal num­ber three and the game was as good as over.

More subs come in for Carnew but they looked tired from the pace of the first half and they lost a vi­tal player in Padraig Do­ran who limped off with a ham­string in­jury.

Bal­ly­manus then lost wing for­ward Philip Coogan to a black card for a pull down.

Then came the score of the game from twin­kle toes Mark Kenny. He soloed up the line, jinked, twisted, and turned on to his left peg and sent a screamer over the bar.

Brendan Whe­lan had only en­tered the ac­tion for Philip Coogan and he re­ceived a black card of his own for a late tackle. A bit of shadow box­ing took place then, noth­ing se­ri­ous and ref­eree Rob­bie Whe­lan, who was hav­ing a de­cent game, soon had it un­der con­trol.

Play re­sumed and mo­ments later Brendan McCrea re­ceived a straight red for a sim­i­lar tackle to ear­lier and this was a dis­as­ter for Carnew.

But they never gave up and they went in the hunt for scores and only for Ai­dan Byrne with two good tack­les and a goal line save they may of found them.

With only a minute left on the clock, Carnew won a penalty which was con­verted by Conal Mcrea but it was a lit­tle too late.

Af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle, Bal­ly­manus man­ager Paddy Mol­loy walked across the field car­ry­ing wa­ter bot­tles and, although he’s not the tallest man among the Bal­ly­manus faith­ful, the Rathvilly na­tive had the stride of a man mea­sur­ing 8ft 6” in the stock­ing feet. Bal­ly­manus march on to face Hol­ly­wood in what should be a bel­ter of a semi-fi­nal.

Scor­ers - Bal­ly­manus: Padraig Byrne 2-00, Kevin Byrne 1-01, Roan Lynch 0-02, Mark Kenny 0-02, Ciaran Whe­lan 0-04 (2f, 1 45), Shane Whe­lan 0-01, Dar­ragh O’Ke­effe 0-01.

Carnew: Conal McCrea 1-01, John Ka­vanagh 0-03 (3f), Brendan McCrea 0-01, Cil­lian Gil­li­gan 0-02 (2f), Sean Kin­sella 0-01 (45).

Bal­ly­manus: Brendan Doyle; Glen Far­rar, Sean O’Neill, Ai­dan Byrne; Liam Byrne, Dar­ragh Byrne, Shane Whe­lan; Sea­mus Coogan, Dar­ragh O’Ke­effe; Roan Lynch, Padraig Byrne, Philip Coogan; Kevin Byrne, Mark Kenny, Ciaran Whe­lan. Subs: Brendan Whe­lan for P Coogan (BC), Paul Mur­ray for B Whe­lan (BC), Jim Byrne for Sean O’Neill.

Carnew: Cor­mac Doyle, Micheal Rock, Paul Nolan, Adrian My­ers; Wil­lie Collins, An­dew Hughes, Nick Skel­ton; Justin House, Padraig Do­ran; Jack Doyle, Brendan McCrea, Niall Os­borne; Cil­lian Gil­li­gan, John Ka­vanagh, Conal McCrea. Subs: Sean Kin­sella for Niall Os­borne, Mark Collins for Paul Nolan, John Wal­she for Padraig Do­ran, Timmy Collins for An­drew Hughes, Enda Dono­hue for Cil­lian Gil­li­gan.

Ref­eree: Rob­bie Whe­lan (Kil­coole)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.