Man (22) stabbed 28 times and ends up in Boyne canal

Drogheda Independent - - NEWS -

A 22-year-old Louth man has gone on trial, charged with at­tempt­ing to murder an­other man twice, firstly by stab­bing him 28 times and later by or­der­ing him into the boot of a car that was pushed into a canal.

De­spite suf­fer­ing a punc­tured lung, the in­jured man man­aged to es­cape from the car and swim to shore.

Ger­ard Boyle gave ev­i­dence to the Cen­tral Crim­i­nal Court yes­ter­day (Fri­day) in the trial of Paul Crosby of Rath­mullen Park in Drogheda.

The ac­cused has pleaded not guilty to at­tempt­ing to murder, to falsely im­pris­on­ing and to caus­ing se­ri­ous harm to Mr Boyle on 10th Novem­ber, 2016 at Knock­com­mon, Beau­parc, Slane in Co Meath.

He has also pleaded not guilty to the at­tempted murder of Mr Boyle later on the same date at Boyne Canal, Drogheda.

Mr Boyle (22) tes­ti­fied that he was liv­ing with his mother and brother in Beech­wood Av­enue, Drogheda at the time.

He told Patrick Gageby SC, prose­cut­ing, that Mr Crosby had smashed a win­dow in his home ear­lier that year and had then used the han­dle of a shot­gun to push in the glass.

He said that the ac­cused had again called to his home on the night of the stab­bing, ask­ing if he wanted to go for a chat to sort things out.

Mr Boyle said he agreed to ‘go for a spin’ with him and two other men in a car parked across the street. He said that he left his phone at home af­ter Mr Crosby told him to do so.

He said that they drove to the river, where an­other car was parked. He said that he, the ac­cused and one of the other men got into that car and that Mr Crosby drove them west to­wards Slane.

He said that he took over driv­ing when they got to Knock­com­mon, be­cause the ac­cused said he couldn’t talk while driv­ing. He said that Mr Crosby then got into the seat di­rectly be­hind him and that the other man got into the pas­sen­ger seat.

“I was driv­ing for about 30 sec­onds and I felt some­thing stick­ing into my left arm and turned around,” he said. “Paul had a knife. I pulled the hand­brake and stopped the car and he stabbed me in the back.”

He said he was in shock and just shouted at him to stop.

“I tried to get away but the seat belt was strapped in,” he con­tin­ued. “He got me in the back of the neck with the knife, the back of my head, the top of my back, half way down my back… I put my hands up on my neck and he stabbed me in the hands.”

He said that he man­aged to get out onto the road and that the ac­cused told him to get up and get into the back.

“I couldn’t breathe,” he re­called, ex­plain­ing that his lung had been punc­tured. “I couldn’t walk re­ally. Nerve dam­age was done to my right leg.”

He said that he went to get into the back seat but that the ac­cused told him to get into the boot in­stead.

“He just said we’re go­ing to bring you to the hos­pi­tal,” he said.

“Did you be­lieve him?” asked Mr Gageby. “50/50,” he replied.

He said he got into the boot and the car was driven away.

He said that, when the car stopped, he be­gan push­ing against the back seat and even­tu­ally man­aged to open a clip and get out of the boot onto the seat.

“I opened the side door and I could see I was in wa­ter,” he re­called. “I looked around and swam across up onto the bank.”

He walked to a cross­roads and flagged down a passerby. He was hos­pi­talised for about two weeks. Mr Gageby had al­ready told the jury that Mr Boyle had been stabbed 28 times that night.

Michael Bow­man SC, de­fend­ing, has now be­gun cross ex­am­in­ing Mr Boyle. He will con­tinue his cross ex­am­i­na­tion on Mon­day be­fore Mr Jus­tice Patrick McCarthy and a jury of six women and six men.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.