E-tender goes live for St Patrick’s Special School
THERE was more positive news for St Patrick’s Special School this week as the etender for the new school building officially went live online this week.
The Department of Education has come under significant pressure in the wake of a public outcry over conditions endured by staff and students at the Enniscorthy school.
Having sparked outrage locally after making the front page of The Guardian, the appeal went nationwide last week when RTÉ News visited the school and showed some of the cramped conditions that staff and students are dealing with on a daily basis.
Principal Lee Rodgers was feeling extremely positive yesterday (Monday) in the wake of seeing the project listed for tender.
‘ This is a really huge step further along the line,’ he said. ‘I was told a couple of weeks ago that it would be January at the very least before we reached this point, so it’s very promising. The amount of public feeling out there in relation to the school is amazing. From the second the article was published, people were genuinely outraged by what was going on. We’re delighted now to be further along the line again.’
Minister Paul Kehoe said that he was delighted to confirm that the etender for the new building was officially live and looks forward to construction getting underway on this vital project. He said that delays were the result of changes to the Public Works Contracts and ensuring tender documents were in line with these changes. ‘It was unfortunate timing,’ he said. ‘But it was essential to ensure all documentation was correct and in line with regulations.’
Consisting of 20 classrooms, junior and senior dining areas, a general purpose hall and specialist teaching rooms, the project is now live on the etenders portal and the goal of a March 2018 start date seems to be well on track. It’s not before time for the kids at the school who can’t wait to have some more space to play and a suitable environment to learn.
Principal Lee Rogers at St Patrick’s Special School.