Ex­tra-time agony as Adamstown suf­fer late de­feat

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - LE­IN­STER JBH in Bal­li­nakill, Co. Laois


ADAMSTOWN SUF­FERED a last-minute de­feat in ex­tra-time at the hands of Of­faly cham­pi­ons Brosna Gaels in the Le­in­ster Ju­nior ‘B’ hurl­ing tour­na­ment quar­ter-fi­nal in Bal­li­nakill, Co. Laois, on Sat­ur­day.

Adamstown were well used to play­ing draws this year af­ter their New Ross District fi­nal re­play win over Tagh­mon and ex­tra-time county fi­nal vic­tory over Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn two weeks ear­lier.

And they were once again made go the dis­tance in this out­ing, but a last-gasp penalty saw them fall short in a very closely-fought en­counter.

Brosna Gaels raced into a three-point lead in the open­ing ex­changes, but Adamstown burst into life with five con­sec­u­tive scores as John Con­nors con­verted two placed balls and Paudge Ka­vanagh picked off two points from dis­tance be­fore Michael Fo­ley reg­is­tered from a tight an­gle to leave Adamstown clear by 0-5 to 0-3 af­ter 20 min­utes.

Kevin Kelly of Brosna Gaels re­stored par­ity with two quick­fire points, but Adamstown took con­trol again just be­fore the break as Tomás French scored a fine point off his left side. Con­nors then notched his first from play along with a free as Adamstown led by three at half-time.

Brosna Gaels came out much stronger in the sec­ond-half and the game was level again (0-8 each) as De­clan Ro­han and im­pres­sive mid­fielder Gary Larkin added two fine in­di­vid­ual scores.

Scores dried up for Adamstown in the sec­ond-half as de­fences on both sides got on top. The teams ex­changed scores as Con­nors added two frees along with a Tomás Har­ring­ton point from dis­tance as Adamstown led by 0-11 to 0-10 with five min­utes re­main­ing, but Brosna Gaels added a long-range free to force ex­tra-time.

This was a tense and nervy af­fair as the rain came down and it made con­di­tions slip­pery on the all-weather pitch. Adamstown cre­ated two good goal chances as Shane Bradley’s at­tempt skid­ded wide of the post and Michael Cur­tis brought a save from John Corcoran.

John Con­nors added two more frees and one from play as Adamstown led by 0-14 to 0-12 with two min­utes re­main­ing, but a high ball into the Adamstown square saw Paul Cooper clash with De­clan Ro­han and Brosna Gaels full-for­ward Mick Kelly buried the penalty.

Adamstown had one fi­nal chance as a John Con­nors shot sailed wide, and they were pipped at the death. The Killeedy club in Limerick has been pro­mot­ing this tour­na­ment since 2005-’06, with Tara Rocks reach­ing the All-Ire­land fi­nal in 2007.

Adamstown: Paul Cooper; J.P. Fur­long, Colm Boland, James Fur- long; Mosey De­laney, James De­laney, Michael Do­ran; Paudge Wick­ham, Tomás Har­ring­ton (0-1); An­drew French, Vin­nie Do­heny, Tomás French (0-1); Paudge Ka­vanagh (0-2), John Con­nors (0-9, 7 frees), Michael Fo­ley (0-1). Subs. - Shane Bradley for A. French (HT), Michael Cur­tis for Ka­vanagh (50), Shane Wick­ham for T. French (63), Pat De­laney for Fo­ley (65).

Brosna Gaels: John Corcoran; Ethan Keena, Aaron Daly, Jack Quinn; Paul Egan, Eoin Hen­nessy, Karl Daly; Seán Far­rell, Gary Larkin (0-3); Kevin Kelly (0-6, 4 frees), James Lan­gan, Ben Wil­son; Joe Lowry (0-1), Mick Kelly (1-1), De­clan Ro­han (0-1).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.