Pur­ple patch downs Duf­fry

Enniscorthy Guardian - - SPORT - DAVE DEV­EREUX


TWO QUICK­FIRE goals at the start of the sec­ond-half pro­pelled Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown to vic­tory in their Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior ‘B’ hurl­ing cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal in Hol­ly­mount on Satur­day.

In that pur­ple patch they turned a one-point half-time deficit into a five-point ad­van­tage in lit­tle more than a blink of an eye and, try as they might, Duf­fry Rovers just couldn’t bridge the gap.

It had looked like the Duf­fry might be the ones cel­e­brat­ing at the fi­nal whis­tle as they made much the bet­ter start, to lead by 1-3 to 0-1 in­side twelve min­utes, although a Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown goal in the 19th minute was also a big turn­ing point, as it kept them in it when their op­po­nents threat­ened to take a stran­gle­hold on the game.

Duf­fry Rovers couldn’t have asked for a bet­ter start, with Jack Bates rat­tling the net with just two min­utes on the clock, driv­ing a first-time pull off the ground past goal­keeper Fionn Slat­tery.

The in­flu­en­tial Peter Aspel replied with a free, but Rovers stretched the lead to five, with Alan Doyle fir­ing over a fine point on the run and Micheál Doyle con­vert­ing two placed balls.

Colin Whe­lan slot­ted over a score for Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown in the 17th minute, and mo­ments later he got the telling touch for a goal af­ter Peter Aspel had dropped a long-range free into the dan­ger zone.

Micheál Doyle replied with a point but Aspel slot­ted over a free to en­sure that there was the min­i­mum be­tween the sides at the break (1-4 to 1-3).

Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown then as­sumed com­plete con­trol in the space of three min­utes af­ter the turn­around.

Just 30 sec­onds into the new half, Shane O’Con­nor drove a shot past Kaylem Fen­lon af­ter good work from Pa­trick Bar­ron, and mo­ments later the goal­keeper was again pick­ing the ball out of the net.

An O’Con­nor de­liv­ery from the right wing fell kindly for Mark Car­roll, and he made no mis­take, blast­ing to the net to make it 3-3 to 1-4.

To their credit, Duf­fry Rovers kept plug­ging away and scores from Micheál Doyle and Ted O’Brien got them back within three points, but they couldn’t get any closer as Peter Aspel and James Dev­ereux kept the score­board tick­ing over for Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown, and they com­fort­ably kept their op­po­nents at arm’s length to book their place in the fi­nal.

Next week­end is an­other big one for the Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown club, with their Ju­nior ‘B’ foot­ballers fac­ing Craan­ford in the county fi­nal in Belle­field on Satur­day, while their first team face Castle­town in their Ju­nior semi-fi­nal re­play in St. Pa­trick’s Park the pre­vi­ous evening.

Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown: Fionn Slat­tery; Colm Mur­phy, Paul Mur­phy, John O’Ke­effe; Eoin Whe­lan (joint capt.), Fran­cis O’Brien, Ian Kennedy; Peter Aspel (0-5, 4 frees), John Bol­ger; Aaron Ryan, James Dev­ereux (0-2), Mark Car­roll (1-0); Shane O’Con­nor (1-0), Colin Whe­lan (joint capt., 1-1), Pa­trick Bar­ron. Subs. - John James Car­roll for Ryan (49), James Bol­ger for O’Con­nor (56), Liam Roche for C. Whe­lan (60+1).

Duf­fry Rovers: Kaylem Fen­lon; Sea­mus Breen, Tom O’Con­nor, Seamie Cullen; Michael Cole­man, Sea­mus Doyle, Jamie Roban; Alan Doyle (0-1), Glenn Rafter; Jack Bates (1-1), Kyle Ka­vanagh, Ted O’Brien (0-1); Michael Doyle, John McCarthy, Micheál Doyle (capt., 0-5, 2 frees, 1 ‘65). Subs. - Matthew Flynn-O’Con­nor for Michael Doyle (48), Jim O’Neill (0-1 free) for Ka­vanagh (48)

Ref­eree: Paul Browne (Clonee).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.