First U-19 league vic­tory

Gorey Guardian - - SPORT -


HAV­ING LED for just two min­utes all sea­son in the SSE Airtricity Un­der-19 League South­ern Elite Divi­sion, there was clearly a dif­fer­ent blueprint needed for Wex­ford F.C. when they trav­elled to St. Col­man’s Park on Sun­day.

The mes­sage that man­ager James Quinn had to pur­vey was pretty clear: play­ing catch-up is tir­ing, get ahead and you have some­thing to work with. His side heeded those mes­sages in their first league vic­tory of the sea­son.

In­deed, it was dream­land for Wex­ford. You wait all sea­son to hold a lead, any lead, for a lit­tle while and then you go out and smash in three goals in the open­ing ten min­utes.

The Fer­rycar­rig Park boys went at Cobh right from the first whis­tle and they went at Ram­blers hard.

There was just five min­utes of the clock when the lively Vinny Quin­lan latched onto a loose de­fen­sive ball and fired home from long range over the hosts’ stand- in goal­keeper, Arthur Nganou.

Ad­ham Ma­sood has been one of the main bright spots for Wex­ford this sea­son, and his form has earned him a call-up to the first team squad.

He cel­e­brated that new con­tract in style by flash­ing home from the right side of the area to make it two.

The mazy run­ning wing ma­gi­cian drib­bled in from the right and rat­tled home his sec­ond of the af­ter­noon, Wex­ford’s third, in the tenth minute.

Un­im­pressed, Cobh im­me­di­ately made a change with striker Eoin Mur­phy en­ter­ing the fray, and the tac­ti­cal switch made an im­me­di­ate im­pact.

With se­nior ex­pe­ri­ence un­der his belt, it was Be­neoin O’Brien-Whit­marsh who pulled a goal back from Cameron Harl­son’s feed in the 20th minute. Wex­ford kept their two-goal ad­van­tage into the sec­ond-half but things changed in the 55th minute.

This time goalscorer O’Brien-Whit­marsh crossed for Stephen O’Leary to force the ball home and sud­denly it was game on.

Cobh pressed for­ward look­ing for an equaliser but in the 80th minute Ma­sood did all the dam­age again, cross­ing for Michael Car­roll to make the points safe.

Wex­ford now face Water­ford in the Enda McGuill Cup at 7.30 p.m. to­mor­row (Wed­nes­day) in Fer­rycar­rig Park.

They then have back-to-back home league games, start­ing with lead­ers Sham­rock Rovers on Mon­day evening.

Wex­ford F.C.: Ke­lan Gaffney, Craig O’Reilly, Michael Car­roll, Kevin Mur­phy, Ger Mur­ray, Cian Larkin, Michael Gar­diner, Ad­ham Ma­sood, Shane Cahill, Vinny Quin­lan, Yaw Aboagye. Subs. - Colum Feeney, Seán Mur­phy, Danny Bruce, Ciarán Paige, Liam Berry.

Cobh Ram­blers: Arthur Nganou, Ben Healy, Ryan O’Re­gan, Stephen O’Con­nor, Adam Crow­ley, Ka­jius Vitke­vi­cus, Cameron Harl­son, Eoin McCarthy, Be­neoin O’Brien-Whit­marsh, Nathan Brod­er­ick, Stephen O’Leary. Subs. - Eoin Mur­phy, Greg Bar­rett. Matthew Lambe, Conor O’Leary, Kyle Mur­phy, Stephen Darcy, Conor Ho­gan.

Ref­eree: Paul Bra­ganza (Cork).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.