If car­ry­ing live­stock, make sure you have right li­cence

Irish Independent - Farming - - ROAD SAFETY -

IF you are car­ry­ing live­stock, you need the cor­rect li­cence. It is a sim­ple word of ad­vice from the Road Safety Au­thor­ity (RSA), yet this sum­mer dozens of driv­ers have found them­selves be­ing pulled over by the gar­dai for not car­ry­ing the cor­rect pa­per­work.

New reg­u­la­tions with re­gards to weights of agri­cul­tural ve­hi­cles came into ef­fect last year, and since 2013 you need a BE li­cence to pull a reg­u­lar horse­box or trailer with a com­bined weight over 3,500kg, “yet we still have driv­ers tow­ing boxes who are be­ing caught with a reg­u­lar B li­cence,” said Garda Adrian Nevin dur­ing a re­cent farm safety talk in Co Wex­ford.

To­gether with his col­league, Garda Bren­dan Condon (inset), both were on hand to dis­cuss the new rules and reg­u­la­tions which have caused much con­fu­sion for driv­ers.

“What­ever about the le­gal im­pli­ca­tions of not hold­ing a proper li­cence, what peo­ple for­get is that in many cases, if there is an ac­ci­dent, and you do not hold the cor­rect li­cence, chances are you will not be in­sured,” Garda Nevin added.

Un­der RSA rules, a cat­e­gory B driv­ing li­cence al­lows you to drive a car, van or 4X4 where the max­i­mum weight does not ex­ceed 3,500kg. This li­cence type al­lows you to tow a trailer weigh­ing less than 750kg.

If the trailer — be­ing towed by a per­son with a cat­e­gory B driv­ing li­cence — weighs in ex­cess of 750kg, the com­bined max­i­mum weight of the tow­ing ve­hi­cle, trailer and its load must not ex­ceed 3,500kg. Mean­while, a cat­e­gory BE driv­ing li­cence al­lows you to tow a trailer where the com­bined max­i­mum weight of the tow­ing ve­hi­cle and trailer is greater than 3,500kg. A cat­e­gory B li­cence does not en­ti­tle the holder to tow a horse­box or a live­stock trailer, be­cause the com­bined weight would ex­ceed 3,500kg. In or­der to ob­tain a BE li­cence, you must hold a cur­rent full driv­ing li­cence in the cat­e­gory B (car). You must first pass a driver the­ory test in the cat­e­gory BW (if not al­ready passed to ob­tain a cat­e­gory B li­cence) be­fore you can ap­ply for a learner per­mit in cat­e­gory BE in an NDLS cen­tre. Af­ter pass­ing a driv­ing test in the car/ jeep and trailer you can then ap­ply for the cat­e­gory BE to be added to your full driv­ing li­cence. Speed­ing while tow­ing trail­ers is also a ma­jor cause for con­cern, says Garda Nevin. The max­i­mum speed limit for a ve­hi­cle tow­ing a trailer is 80km/h.

Garda Adrian Nevin dur­ing a re­cent farm safety talk in Co Wex­ford

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.