A country estate fit for a King
GLENCARNE House and lands near Carrick-on-Shannon is a traditional estate on 98ac.
Home to a very successful tourism business that won many awards in the farmhouse/ rural tourism sector over the years, the house, lands and yards are being sold by private treaty in a sale jointly handled by Savills and Farrell Property Group. The price is guided at €985,000.
Located at Ardcarne on the Roscommon side of Carrick-on-Shannon just to the south of the N4, the property is 8km from both Boyle and Carrick-on-Shannon and 47km from Sligo.
Completed in 1845, it was built for Robert King, the 1st Viscount Lorton, as a satellite house for the Rockingham Estate. Rockingham was one of the largest estates in Connacht and at that time the King family was considered to be the richest family in Ireland.
The King family moved to Rockingham in 1810 having previously lived at King House in Boyle, now a museum open to the public. Rockingham House was destroyed by fire in 1957 and the extensive grounds are now open as Lough Key National Park and Activity Centre.
Extending to 3,600 sq ft, Glencarne House is ‘L’ shape in design, similar to a sister house, the nearby ‘Ellesmere’. The accommodation includes seven bedrooms, three reception rooms and a modern kitchen.
It has been suggested that the Glencarne was designed by the architect John Nash. He was one of the most fash- ionable and influential architects of that era and designed Rockingham House.
Renovated and refurbished over the years, the house has retained many of its classic Victorian features including fireplaces, cornicing, ceiling roses, picture rails, hardwood floors, timber panelling, architraves, sash windows and original shutters.
A bell-mouthed stone wall entrance with piers and castiron gates leads to the property where a hardcore driveway sweeps to the front door.
Immediately to the rear of the house is the traditional yard of cut-stone buildings accessed by cast-iron gates.
A range of more modern farm buildings extending to 5,365 sq ft is located at the centre of the farm and includes a slatted shed, a hayshed, cattle handling facilities and a concrete apron.
To the west of the house is a formal garden that includes a former vegetable garden and orchard while the area around the house is sheltered with fine stands of a variety of mature, deciduous trees.
All in one block, the land is a combination of pasture and meadows suitable for grazing, fodder harvesting with some suitable for woodland.
A central roadway services the farm internally while there is also independent access from the public road. The fields are well fenced and watered by a natural supply and piped water.
The land has been let in recent years for grazing and silage and it includes a site with lapsed planning permission for a dwelling house. The place was farmed as a thriving livestock holding and has the facilities and the potential to continue as such an enterprise.
Glencarne can be bought in lots or as an entire. The first lot is made up of the house and buildings on 12ac of parkland and grazing laid out in a paddock to the front of the house.
The second extends to about 59ac and has a separate entrance from the N4 and from L1025, a minor road. This lot also contains the site with lapsed planning permission and is serviced by an internal roadway.
The third lot extending to 27ac is located to the north of the N4 and is made up of grazing or fodder ground and includes cattle handling facilities.
Glencarne House was built as a satellite home for the King family who were reputed to be one of the richest families in Ireland