Fright night for the Trumps at the White House
the US President Donald Trump and his wife Melania greet young Halloween trick or treaters in fancy dress at here White House yesterday. Children around Ireland will go door-to-door tonight, continuing a tradition started by pagans more than 2,000 years ago. Photo: Getty
A PHARMACIST was left “devastated” after a vandal attack left her chemist’s shop gutted by fire.
Nuala Mac Cinna’s business was severely damaged in the blaze in Donabate, Co Dublin, in the early hours of yesterday.
“I can’t believe it. The fire spread so rapidly. It’s devastating,” said the pharmacist.
Wheelie bins at the rear of the one-storey Donabate Pharmacy on Portrane Road were set ablaze.
Fire brigade crews from Swords, Kilbarrack, Finglas, and Tara Street Headquarters battled the blaze until 4am.
Eyewitness Josephine Girvan (56) said she and her husband saw flames engulf the roof of the building.
“We heard a continuous banging and popping noise as if aerosols inside the pharmacy were exploding or roof tiles cracking in the heat. It sounded like a fireworks display,” said Ms Girvan.
“The flames were coming through the roof and it was getting worse and worse and worse.
“There were flashing lights everywhere as firemen ran up and down looking for hydrants to get more water,” said the mother-of-two.
The firefighters prevented
the flames from spreading to adjoining business premises, but a hairdresser salon next door suffered water damage.
Ms Mac Cinna said: “When I got here last night the guards were already here. The fire was in the roof and it was spreading very fast. I just feel disbelief.
“Seven people work in the pharmacy. I will try to get back open as soon as possible.
“The customers are fantastic. I would have been here 14 years this Christmas.”
She said she hoped that CCTV footage of the scene might yet be available and may help identify the vandals.
Whoever set fire to the wheelie bins not only destroyed her shop but also kept 25 firefighters busy all night, she said.
Some locals speculated that youths caught up in Halloween madness could have started the blaze.
Staff member Lisa O’Neill said: “Local kids are absolutely lovely...but there could be one or two others who did this or youths from outside the area.”
Colleague Catherine McNally said: “There is real anger after what happened. We don’t know who did this. The local kids are very nice. This is sickening.”
Local woman Margaret Fitzpatrick (54) said: “This is absolutely shocking. It’s really desperate. I just hope they find who did this.”