Bun­clody win with swag­ger

Bal­ly­gar­rett in rel­e­ga­tion final

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DAVID MEDCALF


WITH ten min­utes played at Belle­field on Satur­day af­ter­noon, the seasiders from Realt na Mara seemed well in con­tention for a slot in the quar­ter-fi­nals of The Court­yard Ferns spon­sored In­ter­me­di­ate hurl­ing cham­pi­onship.

Though it was early in pro­ceed­ings, a 1-5 to 0-3 ad­van­tage over their Bun­clody ri­vals ap­peared to sug­gest that they were good enough to make the grade.

In­stead, they barely dou­bled their score in the re­main­ing 50 min­utes while the Half Way re­lent­lessly ploughed their way to a 17-point vic­tory which left the Bal­ly­gar­rett team and sup­port­ers con­tem­plat­ing the glum prospect of a rel­e­ga­tion play-off.

The early goal came from Cathal Dun­bar who found the tar­get with a shot which he as­tutely hit off the ground on the way to de­ceiv­ing Bun­clody net-min­der Arthur O’Neill, this af­ter a mag­nif­i­cent morale lift­ing long-range point from cor­ner-back Ed­die Red­mond.

Sadly, for the Gorey Dis­trict out­fit, it was all down­hill from there are their for­ward unit looked lum­ber­ing com­pared with the quick­sil­ver en­ter­prise of op­po­site num­bers clearly keen to nail down their place in the com­pe­ti­tion’s last eight. An early ten­dency to shoot wides de­layed the in­evitable but af­ter Ai­dan Nolan blasted a free un­der the bar into the goal be­hind Shane Quinn on 24 min­utes to equalise the out­come ap­peared more and more in­evitable.

Bun­clody were one up at the break and their front run­ner led their mark­ers a merry dance through­out the sec­ond half as they piled on the agony with dom­i­nance that fea­tured a vir­tu­oso per­for­mance from Ai­dan Nolan.

The wide-rang­ing half for­ward en­joyed a three-minute spell dur­ing which he notched 1-3 all in open play, while the other goals fell to Eoin Kelly and free-scor­ing sub Peter Atkin­son.

To com­pound the gloom for luck­less Bal­ly­gar­rett, they had cen­tre-back Stephen Red­mond red-carded six from full time af­ter ref­eree David O’Leary in­ves­ti­gated an off-the-ball in­ci­dent.

HWH-Bun­clody: Arthur O’Neill, Martin O’Con­nor, Colm Far­rell, David Reck; Conor Crean, Sean Kenny (0-1), Enda Slevin; Billy Kelly (0-5, 4 frees), Ai­dan Nolan (2-4, goal from free); Edward Dun­bar, Eoin Kelly (1-2), Conor Hen­drick (0-1); Cathal Boyle, Ro­nan Roberts (0-2), Kevin Dunne (0-2). Subs: Peter Atkin­son (1-3) for Doyle 30 min­utes; Ja­son Cow­man (0-1) for Dunne 30 min­utes; Matthew Byrne for Slevin 52 min­utes; John Atkin­son for Hen­drick 52 min­utes.

Bal­ly­gar­rett: Shane Quinn, Ed­die Red­mond (0-1), John Doyle, Ai­dan Mur­phy; Dar­ren Mor­ris, Stephen Red­mond, Tom Sin­nott; Gavin Walker, Eoin Cor­co­ran (0-1); Colm Ken­nelly (0-1), Kevin Jor­dan, Jimmy Mur­phy (0-1); Cathal Dun­bar (1-2, one free), Colm Cos­grave, Jack Hobbs (0-7, 5 frees). Subs: Harry Byrne for Cos­grave, blood sub 13 min­utes; Byrne for Walker 30 min­utes; Pa­trick Flem­ing for Doyle 45 min­utes; Cor­mack Moore for Cos­grave 45 min­utes.

Ref­eree: David O’Leary.

Bal­ly­gar­rett’s Stephen Red­mond puts pres­sure on HWH-Bun­clody’s Conor Hen­drick.

HWH-Bun­clody’s Kevin Dunne gets his shot away.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.