Duffry build on per­fect start

Cool­ree boys beat Tagh­mon

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DEAN GOOD­I­SON


DUFFRY ROVERS proved too strong for an over­matched Tagh­mon-Camross in their Top Oil In­ter­me­di­ate A Hurl­ing Cham­pi­onship quar­ter-final in Bree on Satur­day af­ter­noon last.

The Cool­ree boys were a lit­tle waste­ful with the strong breeze in the first half and only held a seven-point lead at the change of ends (1-9 to 0-5) but they were su­perb against the el­e­ments in the sec­ond stanza to ad­vance to the last four with plenty to spare.

On this form, no side left in the cham­pi­onship would rel­ish a meet­ing with the Duffry. The beauty of their per­for­mance was that all ar­eas of the field con­trib­uted. They par­tic­u­larly ex­celled de­fen­sively, al­low­ing just the two points from play in the 60 min­utes.

They got off to the per­fect start too, within three min­utes Duffry reg­is­tered the game’s only ma­jor. Robert Frayne and Cian Fitzhenry com­bined in the build-up but the goal was all about the power of Gavin Rafter strike, it needed to be hit like a rocket as Jack Dunne got a hurl on it but couldn’t keep the slio­thar out of the net.

Things set­tled af­ter the early ex­cite­ment and Tagh­mon would have been rea­son­ably happy at the end of the first quar­ter. They were holding their own, with scores from Chris Cullen, Stephen O’Gor­man and Ian Carty enough to have them just the goal down (1-3 to 0-3).

How­ever, the Duffry had a pur­ple patch that re­ally should have seen them streak even fur­ther clear than they ended up. Cian Fitzhenry and Liam Pen­der notched frees, Cathal Clince nailed a lovely lineball and Alan O’Neill hit the tar­get but they fired six wides in that spell and full-back Alan Nolan some­how kept Frayne shot from find­ing the rig­ging too.

The seven-point half-time lead failed to close at any stage in the third quar­ter.

Barry O’Gor­man got a nice score and Cullen re­mained con­sis­tent from placed-balls but they were al­ways re­spond­ing to a Duffry score at the other end.

It was 1-14 to 0-9 when Luke Sin­nott was given a straight red card for al­most gut­ting Ai­dan Byrne with a vi­cious strike in the 50th minute. In truth, the game was al­ready me­an­der­ing to a con­clu­sion and it didn’t re­ally change any­thing.

Rovers con­tin­ued to work the safe scores and they were far from flat­tered by the 13-point mar­gin of vic­tory at the end.

Duffry Rovers: Stephen Watchorn; Craig Casey, Donie Doyle, James Nolan; Thomas Dunne, Cathal Clince (0-4, 2 frees, 1 lineball), Ai­dan Byrne; Liam Pen­der (0-7, 5 frees), Johnny Flynn-O’Con­nor; Alan O’Neill (0-1), Ea­monn Doyle (0-1), Rob Frayne; Gavin Rafter (1-0), Donie O’Con­nor, Cian Fitzhenry (0-6, 5 frees). Subs: Gavin Watchorn for Rafter (52).

Tagh­mon-Camross: Jack Dunne; David O’Ke­effe, Alan Nolan, Mark O’Gor­man; Adam Win­ters, Ian Carty (0-1 free), Stephen Stafford; Barry O’Gor­man (0-1), Dar­ren Carty; Chris Cullen (0-6 frees), Stephen O’Gor­man (0-1), Shane Doyle; Michael O’Gor­man, Pierce Doyle, Luke Sin­nott. Subs. - Thomas Fur­long for Michael O’Gor­man (44), Barry Óg McGrath for P. Doyle (47).

Ref­eree: David Jenk­ins (Gusser­ane).

Ciaran Mur­phy of Buf­fers Al­ley is tracked by Conor Byrne of Shelmaliers dur­ing their Pet­titt’s Se­nior hurl­ing cham­pi­onship match in In­no­vate Wex­ford Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.