Oyle­gate-Glen­brien in con­fi­dent mood!

Flood­gates open af­ter tight first half

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DEAN GOOD­I­SON


A POW­ER­FUL sec­ond half dis­play saw Oyle­gate-Glen­brien power away from Kil­rush and into the New Ross Stan­dard Un­der-14 Di­vi­sion 3 Football cham­pi­onship final at St Pa­trick’s Park on Thurs­day evening last.

There was noth­ing to choose be­tween the sides at the in­ter­val. Oyle­gate, with their big mid­field duo of Dara Casey and Ryan Cullen driv­ing from deep, kicked some lovely points but Kil­rush looked a goal dan­ger ev­ery time they at­tacked.

The Bal­ly­roe­buck boys were un­der­dogs com­ing into the tie against a pacy, strong op­po­nent but they didn’t let them have it all their own way.

The in­side for­ward line was dy­namic and tricky when they got good pos­ses­sion but the two Sean’s, Ke­hoe and Kenny, as well as Pa Ma­hon, just didn’t see enough of the ball.

That was down to an Oyle­gate de­fence with se­ri­ous qual­ity. A lot of the prob­ing came from the cen­tre-back Adam Roche while Cameron Clarke was able to get for­ward too when Kil­rush went more con­ser­va­tive.

Five dif­fer­ent scor­ers were on the board for Oyle­gate as they moved 0-5 to 0-2 ahead. Casey, Sean Row­ley, An­drew Fitzhenry, Conor Mur­phy and Con­all Byrne were all on tar­get to bet­ter overs from Ma­hon and Jake Moor­head at the other end.

How­ever, Kil­rush had a pur­ple patch early in the sec­ond quar­ter. Sean Kenny fired home a re­bound af­ter Moor­head’s ini­tial shot was su­perbly saved by Paul Burns, then, mo­ments later Stephen Kenny made the break from deep for the sec­ond that was fin­ished to the net by Sean Ke­hoe

A cou­ple of Clarke mi­nors helped the game back to level at the in­ter­val (2-2 to 0-8) but there was no such par­ity af­ter the change of ends. Maybe if Kil­rush had of got off to a bet­ter start it could have been dif­fer­ent but a Mikie Doyle point was quickly fol­lowed by a Aaron Quigley goal and the flood­gates soon opened.

Af­ter a string of points, Casey net­ted goal num­ber two with a calm low fin­ish be­fore Con­all Byrne hit home four min­utes later. Af­ter a string of Kil­rush subs, Mur­phy, Clarke and Ryan Cullen raised green flags in a three minute spell to­wards the end as Oyle­gate went into the final full of con­fi­dence.

OYLE­GATE-GLEN­BRIEN: Paul Burns; Ned Ma­her, Cameron Clarke (1-3), Jack Hen­nessy; Richard For­tune, Adam Roche, Adam Nolan; Dara Casey (1-2), Ryan Cullen (1-1); An­drew Fitzhenry (0-2), Conor Mur­phy (1-1), Mikie Doyle (0-1); Con­all Byrne (1-2), Aaron Quigley (1-0), Sean Row­ley (02). Subs. - Jack For­tune for R. For­tune (25+1), Gra­ham Cur­ran for Nolan (39), Dar­ragh Har­ris for Byrne (46), Cian Cullen for Ma­her (49), T.J. Frost for Row­ley (50), also, Conor Somers.

KIL­RUSH: Danny As­cott; Ben O’Donoghue, Ea­monn Cor­ri­gan, Dan O’Neill; David Kir­wan, Tomás Kir­wan, Char­lie O’Sul­li­van; Bren­dan Clarke, Stephen Kenny; Colm For­tune, Jake Moor­head (0-1), Mike O’Sul­li­van; Sean Kenny (1-0), Sean Ke­hoe (1-0), Pa Ma­hon (0-1). Subs. - Wil­liam Kenny for O’Neill (19), Conor O’Brien for Clarke (33), Brian Kir­wan for C. O’Sul­li­van (41), John Joe Mur­phy for Stephen Kenny (43), Piaras Mur­phy for Sean Kenny (44), also, Adam O’Donoghue.

REF­EREE: Ai­dan Fo­ley (Shel­maliers).

The Oyle­gate-Glen­brien team who de­feated Kil­rush to progress to the fi­nal of the New Ross Stan­dard U-14 Di­vi­sion 3 foot­ball cham­pi­onship.

Oyle­gate-Glen­brien’s Ryan Cullen bat­tles with Stephen Kenny.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.