Carty grabs key scores in Tagh­mon-Cam­ross win

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - BRIAN CARTY


IAN CARTY shone at a dreary Tom­na­hely on Satur­day when his per­sonal haul of 1-3 guided Tagh­mon-Cam­ross to a 2-5 to 0-8 vic­tory over home side Castletown in the open­ing round of the Green­star Un­der-21 Premier foot­ball cham­pi­onship.

While Carty had num­ber 13 on his back, he ef­fec­tively op­er­ated as a deep-ly­ing play­maker, and dic­tated the tempo for the vis­i­tors through­out, but he also popped up in his des­ig­nated right cor­ner-for­ward berth to play a part in his side’s all-im­por­tant goals.

The hosts had de­vel­oped a 0-5 to 0-2 lead in the mud­bath, de­spite be­ing ham­pered by poor shot se­lec­tion, when re­cent St. Peter’s star David O’Ke­effe saun­tered for­ward to con­fi­dently reg­is­ter his sec­ond point of the half three minutes be­fore the break.

Carty had re­lo­cated closer to goal by then and, when the ball was kicked into his vicin­ity in the very next at­tack, he clev­erly worked his way out of the cor­ner be­fore tee­ing up Luke Sin­nott for a low fin­ish as the ta­bles turned by 1-3 to 0-5 at the in­ter­val.

Tem­pers be­came some­what frayed in first-half in­jury time, and threat­ened to boil over in one par­tic­u­lar in­ci­dent on the re­sump­tion, although it must be ac­knowl­edged that ref­eree Pádraig Byrne of­fi­ci­ated with­out any of his own um­pires or neu­tral lines­men which is un­ac­cept­able for this level of com­pe­ti­tion.

The in­ces­sant rain and boggy con­di­tions didn’t help mat­ters ei­ther, but Ross Bealin did catch the eye by shim­my­ing onto his pre­ferred right foot be­fore restor­ing bal­ance on 35 minutes.

But the hosts couldn’t build on that score, and de­spite Rob­bie Brooks (free) lev­el­ling once more six minutes later (0-7 to 1-4), they were stung for a quick­fire 1-1 that ul­ti­mately sealed the ver­dict for the New Ross Dis­trict lads.

Given the form Carty was in, it was ex­tremely naive on Castletown’s part to leave him iso­lated in­side, and he cap­i­talised on that free­dom to stylishly tuck to the net for a 2-5 to 0-7 lead at the start of the fourth quar­ter.

Castletown pushed bod­ies for­ward in vain, with Brooks’ con­verted free edg­ing them to within one score down the home straight.

And the clock was tick­ing to­wards the fifth minute of in­jury time when Bealin’s free pin­balled along the ground and was di­verted goal­ward by a de­spair­ing team-mate’s foot, only for it to be cleared off the line as Tagh­mon-Cam­ross sur­vived by the skin of their teeth.

This was the third pre­lim­i­nary round tie played, with four of the five left fixed for next week­end.

Tagh­mon-Cam­ross: Jack Dunne; De­clan Car­roll, Stephen O’Ke­effe, Tom Banville; Stephen Stafford, David O’Ke­effe (0-2), Darragh Win­ters; Stephen O’Gorman, Shane Doyle; Peter Mur­phy, Adam Win­ters, Shane Leacy; Ian Carty (capt., 1-3), Dar­ren Hay­den, Luke Sin­nott (1-0). Subs. - An­thony Roche for Mur­phy (55), An­thony Doyle for A.Win­ters (60).

Castletown: Alex Reid; Eoin Cullen, Frank Roche, Ross Cody; Kil­lian Pierce, Cathal Meenagh, Oisín Con­dren; Joe Gar­diner (capt.), Liam Cole­man; Frankie Ka­vanagh, Yusuf Frih (0-1), Liam Con­dren; Ross Bealin (0-1), Rob­bie Brooks (0-5, 4 frees), Darragh Brooks (0-1). Subs. - Rory Hef­fer­nan for Ka­vanagh (47), Chris Cal­lanan for L. Con­dren (60).

Ref­eree: Pádraig Byrne (Ki­lanerin).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.