T.J. foils the twelve men

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - BRIAN CARTY


A DRA­MATIC con­clu­sion to Group A of the Top Oil In­ter­me­di­ate ‘A’ hurl­ing championship saw Tagh­mon-Cam­ross main­tain their one hun­dred per cent record as a late goal from T.J. Codd gave them a nar­row 2-13 to 1-14 vic­tory over twelve-man Duf­fry Rovers in Satur­day’s event­ful fifth round tie at St. Pa­trick’s Park.

Smart­phones were put into over­drive in the mo­ments af­ter the full-time whis­tle, as news from matches else­where were slow to be con­firmed.

How­ever, when it emerged that Tara Rocks and St. Pa­trick’s had drawn in Mon­amolin, the re­lief among the Duf­fry Rovers con­tin­gent was pal­pa­ble as it en­sured that they se­cured the fi­nal quar­ter-fi­nal berth on the head-to-head rul­ing over St. Pa­trick’s.

The Duf­fry held the edge for a size­able chunk of the sec­ond-half, as they showed tremen­dous bat­tling qual­i­ties to hold a 1-13 to 1-12 lead with two min­utes re­main­ing de­spite play­ing with two men less af­ter red cards to Ai­dan Byrne and Donie Doyle ear­lier in the game.

How­ever, that nu­mer­i­cal dis­crep­ancy was bound to take its toll the longer the game went on, and so it proved when sub­sti­tute T.J. Codd popped up to swipe to the net af­ter be­ing teed up by Luke Sin­nott just as the clock ticked into in­jury time.

Amaz­ingly, Duf­fry Rovers were re­duced to twelve men in the af­ter­math to that green flag, with John Dunne re­ceiv­ing his march­ing or­ders for some­thing he said to ref­eree Philip Mur­phy.

Johnny Flynn-O’Con­nor’s intended de­liv­ery into the square in­stead dropped over the bar to re­duce the gap to 2-12 to 1-14 some four min­utes into ad­di­tional time, be­fore Stephen O’Gorman rounded off the scor­ing with the last puck of the game.

Ear­lier, Michael O’Gorman pounced for a de­flected goal on 16 min­utes as Tagh­mon-Cam­ross es­tab­lished some day­light (1-4 to 0-2).

Frees from Liam Pen­der (two) and Cian Fitzhenry kept the Duf­fry in touch as they trailed by 1-6 to 0-5 at the break, but a goal out of noth­ing from Donie O’Con­nor saw them 1-9 to 1-7 in front with 17 min­utes to go.

But they ul­ti­mately got caught late on, and now face a dif­fi­cult quar­ter-fi­nal as­sign­ment op­po­site Bal­ly­gar­rett.

For their part, Tagh­mon-Cam­ross will meet New Ross District ri­vals Geral­dine O’Han­ra­hans in the last eight.

Tagh­mon-Cam­ross: Seán O’Gorman; Mark O’Gorman (capt.), Stephen O’Ke­effe, Tom Banville; Stephen Stafford, Chris Cullen, Peter Mur­phy; Thomas Fur­long (0-1), Dar­ren Carty; Dar­ren Hayden, Shane Lacey (0-1), Luke Sin­nott; Michael O’Gorman (10), Stephen O’Gorman (0-4), Cathal Doyle (0-7, 6 frees). Subs. - T.J. Codd for Carty, temp. (41-44), Codd (1-0) for Sin­nott (58).

Duf­fry Rovers: Stephen Watchorn; James Nolan, Craig Casey, John Dunne; Cathal Clince (0-2 frees), Donie Doyle, Mat­tie O’Con­nor; Ai­dan Byrne, Liam Pen­der (0-5 frees); Cian Fitzhenry (0-2, 1 free), Donie O’Con­nor (1-2), Johnny Flynn-O’Con­nor (0-1); Robert Frayne (0-2), Joe Cole­man, Gavin Watchorn. Subs. - Thomas Dunne for Nolan (29), Alan O’Neill for Watchorn (49), Ea­monn Doyle for D. O’Con­nor (52).

Ref­eree: Philip Mur­phy (Faythe Har­ri­ers).

Cian Fitzhenry (Duf­fry Rovers) grabs the drop­ping ball.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.