’Clody come good

Win­ners kept best form un­til fi­nal

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - DEAN GOOD­I­SON


HWH-BUN­CLODY kept their best form for the lat­ter stages of the Green­star Un­der-20 hurl­ing Di­vi­sion 2 championship and they were re­warded with the ti­tle in St. Pa­trick’s Park on Wed­nes­day.

When th­ese sides met seven weeks ear­lier, the game fol­lowed a sim­i­lar pat­tern. Hol­low Rovers had reg­is­tered fewer scores in that game but car­ried more of a goal threat and it was enough to give them the points that evening.

How­ever, a few things were dif­fer­ent. Over­all HWH-Bun­clody de­fended bet­ter in this game, and there was a su­pe­rior work ethic, a des­per­a­tion at times, and it all added up to a miserly rear­guard and a pow­er­ful show­ing.

Prob­a­bly more im­por­tantly, they cut their wides to­tal down in the at­tack­ing third of the field. Shot selec­tion was a huge strength for HWH-Bun­clody, as there sim­ply weren’t any mad slashes at the posts. In­stead they worked their spots, looked for that clean strike and usu­ally made them count.

They have also been able to get their whole squad to­gether. There were games ear­lier in the cam­paign when they had to make do with 15 or 16 play­ers. The likes of Adam Ho­gan, Bobby McK­e­own and Alan Car­ton played a huge part in get­ting the side into this po­si­tion, and their con­tri­bu­tion shouldn’t be for­got­ten.

Cathal Doyle and Eoin Kelly had scores on the board be­fore the Hol­low’s best per­former, Liam Pen­der, cut in from the right and fired home the open­ing goal in the third minute.

It con­tin­ued to be nip and tuck through the open­ing quar­ter, with Kelly adding three frees only for Diar­muid Doyle and Cian Fitzhenry to re­ply for Rovers.

The Duf­fry/Mar­shal­stown com­bi­na­tion were hav­ing some prob­lems find­ing a con­sis­tent free-taker, and the misses started to add up.

John Dunne nailed one from in­side his own half at the other end, while Ed­die Black and Ed­ward Dun­bar were also on tar­get as HWH-Bun­clody hit half-time lead­ing by 0-9 to 1-4.

It was a tight, in­ter­est­ing con­test through the third quar­ter. The even­tual win­ners came out of the blocks with in­tent and grabbed four of the first five scores, with Cathal Doyle, Kelly, Black and Ed­ward Dun­bar all on tar­get again.

How­ever, Fitzhenry notched a cou­ple from play and Pen­der took over dead-ball du­ties to keep the Hol­low chip­ping away.

Three still seper­ated the sides in the 45th minute af­ter a quick ex­change be­tween Cathal Dun­bar and Pen­der (0-15 to 1-9).

But then HWH-Bun­clody turned the screw. The Hol­low didn’t score for twelve min­utes and in that time they fell seven be­hind thanks to scores from Black, Kelly (two) and Cathal Doyle.

A truly su­perb team goal, which saw Sea­mus Doyle, Fitzhenry and Gavin Watchorn all com­bine to send Diar­muid Doyle away to net, gave Rovers a lit­tle hope with three min­utes left.

How­ever, cap­tain Kelly set­tled any nerves with a cou­ple of clin­i­cal frees as the game moved into added-time and, de­spite press­ing right to the end, there was no dra­matic Rovers re­vival as HWH-Bun­clody took the cup.

HWH-Bun­clody: Bran­don Ka­vanagh; Ciarán Ka­vanagh, Josh Martin, Jamie Ka­vanagh; Tadhg Kelly, John Dunne (0-1 free), John McCor­mack; Eoin Kelly (capt., 0-10, 7 frees, 1 ‘65), Martin O’Con­nor; Jack Re­gan, Ed­die Black (0-3), Lee Lev­ingston; Cathal Doyle (0-4), Ed­ward Dun­bar (0-2), Cathal Dun­bar (0-1). Subs. - Stephen Ka­vanagh for McCor­mack (31), McCor­mack for E. Dun­bar, inj. (50), Peadair Cow­man for Re­gan (56), also Bobby McK­e­own, Alan Car­ton, Adam Ho­gan, Paddy Dun­bar, Michael Fitzger­ald.

Hol­low Rovers: Mark Quigley; Ken Doyle, John Dunne, Jamie Roban; Colm Red­mond, Mark Mor­ris (capt.), Alan Doyle; Liam Pen­der (1-4, 0-3 frees), Sea­mus Doyle; Michael Kin­sella, Gavin Watchorn, Barry Doyle; Cian Fitzhenry (0-4, 1 free), Diar­muid Doyle (1-2, 0-2 frees), Tom Lam­bert. Subs. - Jack Bates for Lam­bert (43), Eric Nolan for K. Doyle (43), also Conor Cole­man, Michael Doyle, Barry Red­mond, Mark Ke­hoe.

Ref­eree: James Owens (Askamore).

The vic­to­ri­ous HWH-Bun­clody squad prior to the county fi­nal last week.

Martin O’Con­nor of HWH-Bun­clody at­tempts to block Liam Pen­der (Hol­low Rovers).

The beaten fi­nal­ists from Hol­low Rovers.

Gavin Watchorn of Duf­fry Rovers is tack­led by HWH-Bun­clody’s Jamie Ka­vanagh.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.