Doyle in dead­eye form

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - BRIAN CARTY


THE AS­SURED ball strik­ing of Matt Doyle pro­pelled Glynn-Barn­town into the Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior ‘A’ hurl­ing cham­pi­onship fi­nal af­ter a straight­for­ward 2-18 to 1-9 vic­tory against a Naomh Eanna side which never got go­ing in Monamolin on Satur­day.

In fact, Doyle’s con­tri­bu­tion of 1-8 made him the stand-out fig­ure in a for­ward unit that blos­somed in the sun­shine, with Matt Joyce ably as­sist­ing him with a haul of 1-4, and two more of their for­wards scor­ing at least twice from play.

In com­par­i­son, just one of Gorey’s start­ing at­tack­ing sex­tet worked the score­board, with John Doyle bundling to the net from close range right on the stroke of half-time which helped re­duce Naomh Eanna’s deficit to 1-11 to 1-4 by that stage.

The move­ment and de­ci­sion-mak­ing from Glynn-Barn­town proved a step above the losers through­out, and they surged 0-4 to 0-1 to the good af­ter ten min­utes, with Doyle reg­is­ter­ing twice, Aaron Ke­hoe latch­ing onto a puck-out to find the range, and Cor­mac Cooney point­ing from J.J. Doyle’s as­sist.

Joe O’Con­nor’s depend­abil­ity from frees was Naomh Eanna’s sole sus­te­nance in that first-half, and when Matt Doyle had his shot at goal saved on 17 min­utes, Joyce bounced the re­bound to the net to open up con­sid­er­able day­light.

The goalscorer also pointed from the cor­ner shortly be­fore Ke­hoe knocked over his sec­ond as Glynn-Barn­town were in con­trol by half-time.

Joyce and sub­sti­tute Gearóid Cullen swapped points when play re­sumed, while a pur­pose­ful run from Sea­mus O’Don­nell teed up Cullen for an­other point soon af­ter.

But they only scored once more from play be­fore the end, when an­other re­place­ment, Seán De­laney, ac­ro­bat­i­cally con­nected mid-air to make it 1-17 to 1-9 with twelve min­utes re­main­ing.

Gorey also in­tro­duced re­cent Wolver­hamp­ton Wan­der­ers player Conor Lev­ingston down the home straight, but there wasn’t enough time for him to make a last­ing im­pres­sion.

Mean­while, Glynn-Barn­town booked their ticket to the de­cider in some style, with Doyle con­vert­ing his sixth free on 59 min­utes, be­fore mak­ing some room for him­self on the way to tuck­ing away an in­sur­ance goal some four min­utes into in­jury time.

They will now face Wex­ford Dis­trict ri­vals Kil­more in a tasty look­ing fi­nal later this month.

Glynn-Barn­town: Tommy Ke­hoe; Matt Banville, P.J. Car­ley, David Roche; Ger Dempsey, Cor­mac Rowe, Shane Doyle; Rioghan Cros­bie (0-1), Jack Brazzil; Aaron Ke­hoe (0-2), Matt Doyle (1-8, 0-6 frees, 0-1 ‘65), Kevin Ma­honey; J.J. Doyle (capt., 0-1), Matt Joyce (1-4), Cor­mac Cooney (0-2). Subs. - Conor Clarke for S. Doyle (45), Colm Moore for J.J. Doyle (53), Jamie O’Shea for Ma­honey (55), Paschal Car­ley for A. Ke­hoe (60).

Naomh Eanna: Dar­ren Kelly; Tom Stafford, Si­mon Do­ran, Daniel Sun­der­land; Evan O’Dwyer, Ken­neth Byrne, Nathan Byrne; Joseph O’Con­nor (0-6 frees), John O’Brien; Michael Mur­phy, John Doyle (1-0), Sea­mus O’Don­nell; Michael Bernie (joint capt.), Niall Kir­wan (joint capt.), Conor Hughes. Subs. - Gearóid Cullen (0-2) for Kir­wan (26), Shane Cros­bie for N. Byrne (HT), Seán De­laney (0-1) for Doyle (40), Cil­lian Dono­hoe for Mur­phy (46), Conor Lev­ingston for Bernie (55).

Ref­eree: Mick Lani­gan (Shel­maliers).

Cor­mac Rowe keeps the ball away from Gorey’s John Doyle.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.