Fethard man is jailed for threat­en­ing to kill his neigh­bour

New Ross Standard - - FRONT PAGE -

A MAN who was found guilty of a threat to kill and cause harm by a jury has been sen­tenced to two years and six months in prison.

John Mur­phy, of 77 Hook­less Vil­lage, Fethard-on-Sea, and also of Bal­ly­owen, Welling­ton­bridge, was found guilty by a jury at Wex­ford Ciruit Crim­i­nal Court of a threat to kill and cause se­ri­ous harm to Ja­son Byrne at 82 Hook­less Vil­lage on Oc­to­ber 28, 2017. He was also found guilty by the jury of pos­ses­sion of a weapon on same oc­ca­sion.

Pros­e­cut­ing coun­sel Sinéad Glee­son told the court that the de­fen­dant threat­ened to kill Mr Byrne with an axe.

Det Garda Ed­ward Barry told the court that on the oc­ca­sion Mr Byrne was out­side his home play­ing with chil­dren. The de­fen­dant was a neigh­bour of his. At the time the de­fen­dant resided with his part­ner Kim Gor­don, while Ja­son Byrne resided with his part­ner. On the day in ques­tion, Mur­phy came out of the house with an ar­ti­cle and said: ‘What about that?’

The court had been told, said Det Garda Barry, that John Mur­phy dis­ap­peared for a few min­utes and reap­peared with a knife. Words were di­rected to­wards Ja­son Byrne, say­ing: ‘I’ll f ****** kill you.’ Af­ter that, Ja­son Byrne and the chil­dren went back into the house.

Det Garda Barry told Ms Glee­son that the de­fen­dant had a num­ber of pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions and had been in cus­tody since Novem­ber last.

De­fence coun­sel Col­man Cody said there had been dis­agree­ment be­tween Ms Gor­don and Ms Power, the part­ner of Ja­son Byrne.

He said the de­fen­dant had at the time been abus­ing recre­ational drugs.

Judge Cor­mac Quinn said that there had been a se­ri­ous threat to kill to Mr Byrne in the pres­ence of his part­ner and chil­dren, with a knife in hand.

The judge noted Mur­phy’s pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions and the ef­fect of the in­ci­dent on Mr Byrne. In mit­i­ga­tion, he said he would take into ac­count a let­ter of apol­ogy and re­morse and the var­i­ous re­ports be­fore the court.

On the threat to kill charge, Judge Quinn im­posed a sen­tence of two years and six months, back­dated to Novem­ber 6, 2017, the date he went into cus­tody. He marked the re­main­ing charge taken into con­sid­er­a­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.