Myler mas­ter­class

At­tacker un­stop­pable in the first-half

New Ross Standard - - SPORT - ALAN AHERNE Fan of the match


A FIRST-HALF scor­ing mas­ter­class by full-for­ward Jamie Myler se­cured vic­tory for the home side in Horeswood on Satur­day when Dunbrody Gaels ad­vanced to the semi-fi­nal of the Green­star Un­der-20 foot­ball Di­vi­sion 2 cham­pi­onship at the ex­pense of Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn.

The ace at­tacker was vir­tu­ally un­mark­able be­fore the break, with 1-5 of his 1-7 haul com­ing from play as the lo­cals opened up a con­vinc­ing 2-8 to 0-5 lead.

And al­though Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn held their own through­out the sec­ond pe­riod, the real dam­age had been done by that stage and their late penalty goal only served to put a bet­ter gloss on the fi­nal score­line.

The one bright spot for the losers - mi­nus key man Ro­nan Dev­ereux - was the out­stand­ing marks­man­ship of cor­ner-for­ward Mark Byrne who fin­ished with a 1-10 haul, and his pointed free put them ahead in­side one minute.

How­ever, the Horeswood/St. James’ com­bi­na­tion hit 1-6 with­out re­ply be­fore they reg­is­tered again, with Myler goal­ing in the 20th minute af­ter a long ball by Seán Nolan broke into his path via a de­fender’s hands.

He had also kicked five points, three from play, by that junc­ture, even though Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn sought to limit the dam­age by bring­ing cor­ner-for­ward Conor Mur­phy back for ex­tra pro­tec­tion in that trou­ble­some area.

The mar­gin stood at nine points by half-time, with Tommy Walsh fin­ish­ing good work by Jack Ke­hoe and Seán Nolan to add the sec­ond Dunbrody goal in the 29th minute.

Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn net­min­der James White had also made a cou­ple of good saves to deny James Walsh, and his side seemed in­ca­pable of mount­ing any sort of come­back

To their credit, though, they kept plug­ging away and outscored the vic­tors by 1-7 to 0-5 in the sec­ond-half, al­though the out­come was never in doubt.

Dar­ragh Lyons, Seán Nolan and Jamie Myler in par­tic­u­lar were able to step it up when­ever they needed to, and their side led by 2-12 to 0-10 at the end of the third quar­ter.

Mark Byrne’s dead ball ac­cu­racy was first rate for the vis­i­tors, and he slot­ted home their goal from a spot-kick in added time af­ter net­min­der Aaron Mythen was pe­nalised for over­car­ry­ing in his own square.

There will be no re­peat of the county fi­nal ap­pear­ance of their hurlers in Di­vi­sion 4 in Septem­ber when they lost to Liam Mel­lows, whereas Dunbrody Gaels will be at home again when Castle­town make the long jour­ney south on Novem­ber 17.

Dunbrody Gaels: Aaron Mythen; Nigel Dunne-Sher­iff, Ea­monn O’Sul­li­van, Dean Roberts; Cathal Mer­nagh (0-1), Dar­ragh Lyons (0-1), David Mur­phy; Danny Byrne, Tommy Walsh (1-0); Seán Nolan (capt., 0-2), James Fitzger­ald, Barry Walsh-Howlin; Jack Ke­hoe, Jamie Myler (1-9, 0-2 frees), James Walsh. Subs. - Owen Whitty for Byrne (41), John Chap­man for J. Walsh (46), Conor Dal­ton for Walsh-Howlin (49).

Cross­abeg-Bal­ly­murn: James White; Michael Cullen, Conor Bar­low (capt.), Joe Kelly; Conor Gorm­ley, Evan Kin­lough, Rob­bie Mur­phy; Davy Ke­hoe, Cathal Dev­ereux; Ja­cob English, Oran Mad­dock (0-2), James Dixon; Conor Mur­phy, Lor­can Cum­mins, Mark Byrne (1-10, 0-7 frees, 1-0 pen., 0-1 ’45).

Ref­eree: James Mul­lally (Gusser­ane).

THE NAOMH Eanna hurlers have been lauded for their bril­liant break­through, and rightly so, but it’s a shame that some of those queue­ing up to be­stow praise seem to be in­tent on re-writ­ing his­tory.

There was a glar­ing ex­am­ple last week when AIB, spon­sors of the club cham­pi­onships, re­leased an in­ter­view with de­fender Eoin Con­roy.

Ev­ery­thing was go­ing fine un­til near the end when the jour­nal­ist made the as­ton­ish­ing claim that Ou­lart-The Bal­lagh are the only Wex­ford team to have won a provin­cial Se­nior hurl­ing ti­tle.

This glar­ing er­ror was quickly seized upon by sev­eral Slaney­side read­ers who took to so­cial me­dia to voice their dis­gust.

It was a gross in­sult to Rath­nure, win­ners of six Le­in­ster cham­pi­onships be­tween 1971 and 1998, and to Buf­fers Al­ley, who col­lected the hon­ours in 1985, 1988 and 1992. Of course, the Al­ley went on to claim the county’s sole All-Ire­land ti­tle in 1989, but all of that seemed to be lost on the au­thor of that bizarre ar­ti­cle.

Stay­ing with Naomh Eanna, we feel that the claim that they were only a Ju­nior club six years ago also re­quires clar­ity.

Tech­ni­cally, it’s true, given that they lost the Le­in­ster Ju­nior semi-fi­nal to Thomas­town of Kilkenny by 1-24 to 0-10 in 2012.

How­ever, that was the first year of the county In­ter­me­di­ate ‘A’ cham­pi­onship, and it was de­creed that the Wex­ford win­ners would be en­ti­tled to play at Ju­nior level in the prov­ince, some­thing that pre­vails to this day.

There­fore, the im­por­tant dis­tinc­tion to be made is that Naomh Eanna were never Ju­nior within the county it­self.

They lost an In­ter­me­di­ate play-off to de­ter­mine sta­tus for the new struc­tures to Black­wa­ter in 2011, and that’s how they ended up in In­ter­me­di­ate ‘A’, win­ning it at the first at­tempt ver­sus Mar­shal­stown-Cas­tle­dock­rell.

By the way, their trainer, Wil­lie Cleary, was a men­tor with the Ire­land Un­der-21 panel that played Scot­land in a hurl­ing-shinty in­ter­na­tional in Ab­bot­stown on Satur­day, with Damien Reck of Oyle­gate-Glen­brien in ac­tion.

Mean­while, two broth­ers could yet end up meet­ing in the AIB Le­in­ster Club fi­nal, given that Malachy Travers - older sib­ling of Bren­dan and ex-Gorey stal­wart - came on for Bally­bo­den St. Enda’s in their vic­tory in the Dublin de­cider ver­sus Kil­macud Crokes.

Diar­muid Ke­hoe of Geral­dine O’Hanrahans tries to break away from Mark Doyle (St. Mary’s, Maudlin­town) in their Green­star Un­der-20 foot­ball Di­vi­sion 4 cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal in The Rocks on Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.