Em­mets hom­ing in on semis

The Argus - - SPORT -


GLEN Em­mets trav­elled to Jenk­in­stown Kilkenny on Satur­day af­ter­noon to take on the home side Conahy Sham­rocks in the first round of the Le­in­ster Club cham­pi­onship and came away com­pre­hen­sive win­ners.

The home side took an early lead with a first minute goal through full for­ward John Mul­downey. It was the 5th minute be­fore Glen Em­mets got on the score­sheet though a Damien Grimes goal.

When Ro­nan Gruf­ferty pointed on seven min­utes the Glen Em­mets never looked back, a se­cond goal from County Mi­nor Kee­lan O’Neill and a Damien Grimes point put the Em­mets five up.

The home side out-scored the Glen Em­mets in the fi­nal 10 min­utes of the half by four points to two, the Tullyallen men’s points com­ing from An­drew Mooney and Gruf­ferty, Glen Em­mets went in at the break lead­ing 2-4 to 1-4.

The se­cond half was all one way traf­fic as the Glen Em­mets played some very good foot­ball and scored 1-8 with­out re­ply in the half.

Mid­fielder Mark Gar­vey got their se­cond half goal and James But­ler con­tin­ued his good run of form with four points.

Glen Em­mets will now play Meath Cham­pi­ons Meath Hill in the quar­ter fi­nal on Satur­day week at a Louth venue.

GLEN EM­METS TEAM: Fer­gus Bar­nett, Evan English, Keith Boy­lan 0-1, Niall Hack­ett, An­drew Mooney 0-1, Stephen Healy, Ro­nan Carr, Mark Gar­vey 1-0, Ro­nan Gruf­ferty 0-4, David Bracken, Ian Cu­sack, James But­ler, 0-4, Kee­lan O Neill 1-1, Sean Byrne, Damien Grimes 1-1. Subs: Joe Far­relly for Stephen Healy (45), Robert Byrne for Mark Gar­vey (47), Der­rick John­son for Ian Cu­sack (47), Ben Hil­lard for Kee­lan O’Neill (51), Jamie Far­nan for An­drew Mooney (52), Alan McGrane for Damien Grimes (54)

The win­ning Glen Em­mets team.

Pic­ture: Ken Fine­gan

Alan Smith presents the Der­mot O’Brien Cup to St. Fechins Cap­tain David Lally and Man of the Match Ryan Walsh.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.