Stu­dents pick­ing up mo­men­tum with Clyda vic­tory

The Corkman - - SPORT - AU­BERT TWOMEY Pairc Uí Rinn

UCC 1-15 Clyda Rovers 0-14

LAST Sun­day’s fourth round se­nior foot­ball cham­pi­onship game played at Páirc Ui Rinn on Sun­day evening last proved to be a lively en­ter­tain­ing af­fair with very lit­tle to choose be­tween the con­tes­tants UCC and Clyda Rovers.

The north Cork side made a de­ter­mined ef­fort to se­cure vic­tory against fan­cied op­po­nents and they were de­servedly ahead at the break. UCC per­formed with a greater since of ur­gency when the ac­tion re­sumed, how­ever, and they went ahead for the first time in the 42nd minute.

Clyda fought back to re­gain the lead in the 46th minute how­ever and the game fin­ished on a very ex­cit­ing note: the stu­dents were more eco­nom­i­cal with their scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties dur­ing that vi­tal pe­riod so they will con­se­quently be in the draw for the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Fol­low­ing the throw in on Sun­day last Clyda Rovers con­fi­dently took the game to their op­po­nents and mi­nors from Paul Cronin and Conor O’Sul­li­van were a huge boost. The stu­dents replied promptly and Kil­lian Spil­lane from a free and Conor Geaney from play were on tar­get.

Clyda re­gained the lead when Conor Flana­gan and Paul Cronin were both on tar­get from frees, but UCC again got on level terms when their most ef­fec­tive for­ward Kil­lian Spil­lane raised two white flags.

Clyda Rovers again took up the run­ning, how­ever, as they clearly had the ad­van­tage visa-vis com­bined train­ing as the stu­dents had lit­tle con­tact with each other dur­ing the hol­i­day pe­riod.

The north Cork side scored three points with­out re­ply to en­hance their prospects of vic­tory, but UCC had they abil­ity to cap­i­talise on the scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties that came their way.

They were con­se­quently still in con­tention at the in­ter­val when Clyda led 0-9 to 0-7 and one felt that their play would im­prove fol­low­ing the change of ends as the first 30 minute of ac­tion would make them more fa­mil­iar with each other’s play.

That po­si­tion was clear to man­i­fest it­self fol­low­ing the restart when points from Kil­lian Spil­lane and Conor Geaney tied the scores. Clyda also suf­fered a set- back for the sec­ond pe­riod as mid­fielder Ken­neth Fitzger­ald had to re­tire due to a shoul­der in­jury and their full-for­ward Daniel O’Callaghan who was prov­ing to be a hand­ful for the op­pos­ing de­fence had to be moved out to cen­tre field as a con­se­quence the north Cork side sud­denly found them­selves on the back foot and they were trail­ing 0-12 to 0-10 by the 42nd minute.

They fought back well how­ever and man­aged to re­gain the lead. Good work by Conor O’Sul­li­van cre­ated a goal scor­ing op­por­tu­nity for Sean Ron­ayne who con­fi­dently placed the foot­ball out of the goal­keeper’s reach.

The lat­ter sub­se­quently fol­lowed with a mi­nor so Clyda Rovers prospects of vic­tory were still very much alive. It was 1-11 to 0-12 in their favour at the 46th minute. Dis­ap­point­ingly for them, how­ever, they were not to score again and they will UCC were not at their best and their lead­ing per­former, Kil­lian Spil­lane cen­tered for Geaney to punch to the net

be­moan the fact that they were wide of the posts on four oc­ca­sions be­fore the end.

UCC on the other hand cap­i­talised on the scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties that came their way. Lau­rence Bastible moves up­field to kick the foot­ball be­tween the up­rights and sub­sti­tute Brian Be­g­ley was on tar­get four min­utes later so the sides were level.

UCC were now at their best and their lead­ing per­former Kil­lian Spil­lane cen­tered per­fectly for fel­low Kerry man Conor Geaney to punch to the net. Liam O’Sul­li­van tacked on the in­sur­ance point to se­cure fi­nal place and they are cer­tainly a team with po­ten­tial.

UCC: Eoghan O Brien (Churchill), Fion­naín Clif­ford (Water­ville), Jack McGuire ( Lis­towel Em­mets), Dy­lan Fen­ton (ST Vin­cents), Lau­rence Bastible (0-1) ( John Mitchels) Ja­son Fo­ley (Bal­ly­donoghue), Oran Clif­ford (Water­ville), Kevin Shana­han (Ard­fert), Ro­nan O’Toole ( Eire Óg), Adrian Spil­lane (0-1) (Tem­ple­noe), Ro­nan Buck­ley (Listry), Eib­hin Court­ney (Eire Óg En­nis), Liam O’Sul­li­van (0-2) (St Michael’s), Kil­lian Spil­lane (0-6, 4f) (Tem­ple­noe), Conor Geaney (1-4) (Din­gle) Subs: Eoin Shee­han (Na Piar­saigh) for Ro­nan O Toole (11th) (In­jured), C Bam­bury for Kevin Shana­han (39th), B Be­g­ley (0-1) (An Ghaeltacht) for Fo­ley 48th (In­jured)

CLYDA ROVERS: Gearóid O Shea, Chris Kenny, Ray Carey, Sean Ron­ayne (1-2), James Buck­ley, Paudie Kis­sane, Oliver O’Han­lon, Ken­neth Fitzger­ald, Conor Flana­gan (0-3, 2f), Sean O’Con­nell (0-1), Paul Cronin (0-1f), Conor O’Sul­li­van (0-2), Sean Ron­ayne, Daniel O’Callaghan (0-1), Roy Willis Subs: Chris Buck­ley for Ken­neth Fitzger­ald 31st In­jured, C O’Sul­li­van for Willis 49th, J Fitzger­ald for O’Han­lon 60th

REF­EREE: C. Di­neen (Dou­glas)

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.