Kanturk social housing plan given green light
SCHEME PART OF COUNCIL PLAN TO BUILD MORE THAN 3,000 NEW HOMES BY 2021
THE long-running saga over a plan to build a 12-unit social housing development in Kanturk has finally cleared its final hurdle after it was rubber-stamped at a full meeting of Cork County Council.
The initial proposal for 16 houses on the site at Bluepool had been adopted by Kanturk/ Mallow area county councillors last February, despite some concerns over issues including the density of the proposed scheme.
However, that decision was overturned when it went before full council for approval and subsequently revised down to 12 houses, prompting concerns that the plan may be shelved indefinitely while the design and planning process was revisited. It had been further feared that any undue delay might see funding for the project suspended or even withdrawn.
The project was put back on track in April when Council officials submitted a Part 8 application for the 12-house scheme and a report on the plan was submitted to Kanturk/Mallow, with councillors supporting a recommendation that it proceed to full council for approval.
The Part 8 application was formally given approval at last Monday’s full council meeting in County Hall, much to the relief and delight of Kanturk/ Mallow committee chair Cllr Timmy Collins (Ind).
“I was also pleased to see that as part of the overall plan it has been agreed to begin the process of closing off the laneway leading to the Market Place, which has for some time been a hub for certain anti-social behaviour,” said Cllr Collins.
He paid tribute to Council officials for their input in ensuring the development will go ahead.
“The did all they could to address the concerns raised by local residents and adapted the proposal where they could to take in certain issues. I know some people are not entirely happy with the final plan, but you can not please all the people all the time,” said Cllr Collins.
The proposal will now go out to tender, with Cllr Collins saying that he would hope work on the site would commence in early autumn.
“Given that there are currently 149 applicants on the housing list, these new houses and the 25 unit development on Millview Road that was granted planning permission in February, will help to address the chronic housing problem in the area,” said Cllr Collins.
Meanwhile, Part 8 planning was also approved for a 50 unit development at Oakwood in Macroom as well as a further 102 Private Public Partnership (PPP) units in Skibbereen and Clonakilty.
The schemes are part of an ambitious plan by Cork County Council to deliver 3,008 new units across the county by the end of 2021 under the Social Housing Strategy.
Kanturk/Mallow MDC chair, Cllr Timmy Collins (Ind).