Sligo con­tinue bril­liant start to sea­son af­ter de­feat­ing Malahide

The Sligo Champion - - SPORT -


UL­STER Bank All Ire­land League DI­VI­SION 2C

36 14

had ini­tially caught the kick. How­ever,Sligo couldn’t con­vert fol­low­ing an­other flow­ing move. Malahide then ap­plied some con­stant pres­sure on the Sligo de­fence and were re­warded with a try on 32 min­utes for their ef­forts. Malahide earned a penalty and with the aid of the breeze punted the ball to the Sligo 5 me­tre line. Malahide moved the ball well from the li­ne­out and fol­low­ing some lovely in­ter­play be­tween Nolan, Keane and cen­tre Daragh Sweeney ended with a beau­ti­ful off­load to the on­rush­ing 12 Richie Forbes to force his way over the line from a great run­ning line. Keane added the ex­tras to level up mat­ters at 14 apiece. Then just be­fore the half time whis­tle Sligo claimed the Malahide kick deep in their own 22.Sligo’s in­flu­en­tial Fee­hily ducked and dived his way through the op­po­si­tion de­fence to set up an­other at­tack. He then re­leased the ball to the on­rush­ing But­ler who then set cen­tre Michael Wells away, he in turn found Mark Rooney who then timed his pass well to set pacey winger Calum God­dard in for a try and put Sligo back into the lead. Sligo failed to add the ex­tras and left the half time score at 19-14 in Sligo’s favour.

At the re­sump­tion of play, Sligo brought on young hooker Shane O’Hehir for his brother James O’Hehir,Matt Davey for Manu Parkin and Kuba Wo­jtkow­icz for Conor Mitchell. This brought re­newed en­ergy into the Sligo for­wards. Sligo started the sec­ond half as they fin­ished the first-on the at­tack and made their pres­sure pay on 48 min­utes when the pow­er­house no.8 Matthew Cos­grove went over for his sec­ond try fol­low­ing a lovely break and nim­ble foot­work from the in­spi­ra­tional Wells. Kee­gan duly con­verted the con­ver­sion as Sligo now led 26-14 to put some breath­ing space be­tween the teams as well as the all im­por­tant bonus point. The game then went from end to end as both sides went in pur­suit of the cru­cial score in a critical stage of the game. The cru­cial score duly ar­rived and for­tu­nately it was the Yeats men who got it. Sligo re­place­ment prop Kuba showed his po­ten­tial with a light­ning break in­side the Malahide 22 and pro­vided the cru­cial pass for cen­tre Rooney to grab a fifth try for the Sligo men and in un­der the posts. Kee­gan again added the ex­tras to put Sligo 33-14 ahead. One Aussie on­looker de­scribed this 5 pointer or “meatie” as “Woweee”.

The game started to ebb and flow af­ter that in what was a pul­sat­ing en­counter. For­tu­nately, Sligo were the ones who took the ini­tia­tive and claimed the fi­nal score of the half through the boot of the flaw­less Kee­gan. The ref­eree blew the full time whis­tle and Sligo have now se­cured top spot in the ta­ble with 9 points out of a pos­si­ble ten.

Sligo main­tain their stun­ning form from last sea­son and are con­tin­u­ing their ex­cit­ing brand of rugby.

SLIGO RFC: Backs: Jack Kee­gan,Calum God­dard,Mark Rooney, Mike Wells,Philip Carter, Mark But­ler, Ryan Fee­hily, For­wards:Matthew Cos­grove, Diar­muid O’Dowd Hill,Manu Parkin, Shane Boyle, Ciaran Cas­sidy, Conor Mitchell (C),James O’Hehir,Mark Kee­gan. RE­PLACE­MENTS: Shane O’Hehir,Kuba Wo­jtkow­icz,James Wil­son,Matthew Davey,Niall Gray.

Mark Rooney shows his speed for Sligo against Malahide in Hamil­ton Park on Satur­day.

Diar­muid O’Dowd-Hill defends for Sligo.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.