Ju­nior soc­cer ac­tion.

The Sligo Champion - - SPORT -

HEAD­LINES can at times be hard to find but not this week­end be­cause in the Sligo South­ern Ho­tel Su­per League there was a huge shock re­sult as Manorhamil­ton Rangers cruised to a 6-1 vic­tory over the then league lead­ers MCR. PRIOR to their visit to the Bee Park on Sun­day, MCR had scored 26 goals in five games and con­ceded only five.

They had only lost once and that was a 2-1 de­feat at home to reign­ing cham­pi­ons Car­bury FC.

Manor Rangers on the other hand had an in­dif­fer­ent start to the sea­son but all this counted for noth­ing on the day.

the Bee Park was set alight with a mag­i­cal dis­play of clin­i­cal fin­ish­ing by Sea­mus Ryder who scored all six goals for a rampant Manor Rangers.

The score line at half time was 4-0 to Manor and it should have been more when two min­utes from half time Aaron Hickey’s penalty was su­perbly saved by the MCR net minder Tony Clarke.

The sec­ond half saw Manor con­tinue their dom­i­na­tion with Sea­mus Ryder com­plet­ing his feat with two more goals and it could well have been more ex­cept for the ex­cep­tional hero­ics of the Tony Clarke in the MCR goals. How­ever the day, the points and the Man Of The Match all be­long to Sea­mus Ryder and his team Manor Rangers.

DE­fend­ing cham­pi­ons Car­bury took full ad­van­tage of MCR’s slipup by win­ning at home to Strand Celtic.

Their busi­ness was con­cluded by half-time with Ibrahim Sav­age was on tar­get af­ter 14 min­utes.

He added his sec­ond goal twenty min­utes later. With five min­utes to go un­til half-time, Gary Arm­strong struck the third goal for Car­bury.

The sec­ond half was a dif­fer­ent game as Strand upped the ante and Car­bury were on the back foot for long pe­ri­ods.

Kail­lum Burns scored a screamer of a goal for Strand on 70 min­utes but un­for­tu­nately, they failed to build on this.

Aughanagh Celtic were an­other club who turned re­cent form on its head.

They wel­comed Glen­view Stars to Bal­li­nafad for this Su­per League clash in a game that Stars would have been ex­pected to win. The prob­lem was no one told Aughanagh when on 20 min­utes Marc Kee­gan opened their ac­count and it was that way un­til five min­utes into the sec­ond half when An­thony John­ston cracked home the equaliser for Stars.

Aughanagh kept their com­po­sure and were re­warded on 70 min­utes when Der­mot Beg­gan hit the back of the net for the hosts. Then on the stroke of full time Sea­mus Kane put the ic­ing on the cake with a cracker of a third goal that wrapped up all three points for ju­bi­lant Aughanagh Celtic.

The Su­per League cer­tainly threw up a lot of shocks and sur­prises this week­end and more con­tin­ued when Merville United wel­comed Bal­liso­dare United to Maugher­aboy.

Merville took the lead through Kyle Caw­ley on ten min­utes and were well in con­trol un­til ten min­utes from the break when the ever elu­sive Darragh Healy pounced to level mat­ters for Bal­liso­dare.

Then two min­utes from half time much to the amaze­ment of both teams and spec­ta­tors, ref­eree Owen Mc Loughlin pointed to the penalty spot. Steven Pat­ton stepped up and fired home from the penalty that in the end proved the win­ner for Bal­liso­dare United.

Coolaney United wel­comed the vastly im­prov­ing St Johns FC to Coolaney in the An­drew Mullen Sligo Pal­lets Premier league.

A win here would have seen Coolaney at least joint top table or, de­pend­ing on goals scored, outright lead­ers.

How­ever, none of this was meant to be. St John’s, who were un­lucky last week not to take some­thing against the league lead­ers, were well up for this game.

St Johns took the lead on fifty min­utes when Joe Likd­nje fired them into the lead and they held this un­til five min­utes from the end. Lead­ing scorer Cathal Davey saw his bril­liant ef­fort come back off the cross­bar but Sean Doyle was fol­low­ing up and headed pow­er­fully home to net a glo­ri­ous equaliser for a de­lighted Coolaney United who had played the last twenty min­utes with ten men as Martin De­vaney re­ceived his march­ing or­ders from ref­eree Paul Harte for in­cur­ring a sec­ond yel­low card.

Ben­bul­ben wel­comed Real Tub­ber to Grange in an ex­plo­sive game that had a glut of goals. Ben­bul­ben were lead­ing 3-2 at the break thanks to a strike from An­thony Moylette on thirty min­utes plus a dou­ble from Dar­ren Gilse­nan. Real Tub­ber hit back with a Ro­nan Forkin goal and a penalty from Jack Walsh.

Real Tub­ber started the sec­ond half at a much higher tempo and within six min­utes Jack Walsh had com­pleted his hat trick.

Next up was Jack Flat­ley and then Shane Keyes com­pleted the scor­ing for Real Tub­ber. With five min­utes to go, Ben­bul­ben pulled a goal back through Michael Gil­martin but the day and the points be­longed to Real Tub­ber.

Ben­bul­ben have the fire power they just need to tighten up their de­fence and they can be a force to be reck­oned with.

Gur­teen Celtic wel­comed River­stown Mas­ters to Gur­teen and were lead­ing by two goals to nil at the break cour­tesy of the open­ing goal from Kevin Cryan ac­com­pa­nied by a thirty yard screamer form Tony Tay­lor that flew into the top left hand cor­ner of the River­stown net.

The sec­ond half saw the River­stown rear-guard in top form and it was twenty min­utes from time be­fore they were breached when Shane Gal­lagher was found loi­ter­ing with in­tent and he made no mis­take in fir­ing home the third goal that in­sured all three points for the Gur­teen Boys.

In the T P Bren­nan Con­nacht Ju­nior Cup 1st Round Tir­eragh FC re­ceived a walkover from Mayo side New­port Town.

North Sligo side Clif­foney Celtic were away to Dun­more Town and trav­elled home happy campers thanks to a 5-2 vic­tory.

Niall Sheerin the man of the mo­ment hit­ting a splen­did hat-trick aided and abet­ted with a goal each from Christie Keaney and Conor Col­reavy.

Premier League lead­ers Cartron United trav­elled to take up the chal­lenge of St Bernard’s FC Gal­way it was the home side who emerged vic­to­ri­ous with the only goal of the game com­ing on the hour from Ja­son Finn.


Johnny Mar­tyn of Car­bury bat­tles with Eoin Ni­chol­son of Strand Celtic. Pics: Carl Bren­nan.

Conor Grif­fin rises high­est to clear the dan­ger.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.