Haddens’ book will stir memories
MANY people in Wexford still remember the days when Haddens’ name was over the premises on North Main Street which is currently occupied by Shaw & Sons.
Haddens’ well-known family drapery business occupied that spot for 128 years, having been founded by George Hadden in 1848.
In 1858, after just ten years in business, George Hadden died, leaving behind a young widow, Frances, and four small children.
Frances kept the drapery business going single-handedly for 17 years until 1875, when two of her sons, William and George, took it over. From then on, the business became known as W & G Hadden.
In 1906, the Hadden firm expanded when they acquired the business of Merrick & Ruddell, in Dungarvan. Three years later they bought the business of Adam Ford, at Tullow Street, Carlow which was managed by William Hadden, while his younger brother, Addison, managed the Wexford store.
The business moved to the fourth generation of the family when William’s two sons, Victor and David, joined the business in the ‘40s and ‘50s.
In 1972, David emigrated with his family to Canada and, shortly afterwards, Colin Hadden, (Victor’s son) joined the firm, bringing the Hadden busi- ness into the fifth generation.
In 1976 Victor Hadden retired, through ill health, and the three stores were sold to Shaw & Sons, bringing an end to the Hadden connection with the business.
Over the last five years, Victor Hadden’s daughter, Avril Hogan of Carlow, has researched and compiled a social history of the business that spanned 128 years.
Avril’s book, simply entitled ‘HADDENS - A Social History’, runs to 287 pages and will be launched in Clayton Whites Hotel on November 14, by local historian and writer, Eithne Scallan.
A few years ago, Eithne wrote a book about the life of Dr George Hadden, who was a brother of William and Addison of the drapery business. Any former staff of Haddens who haven’t received an invitation and would like to attend the launch should contact Avril by email (email@example.com).
The staff of Haddens in Wexford, pictured in 1957.