Jody saves the day

Liam Mel­lows and Oyle­gate end level

Wexford People - - SPORT - BRIAN CARTY in Monamolin

LIAM MEL­LOWS and Oyle­gate-Glen­brien must re-group and dust them­selves down for a re­play as nei­ther side could quite seize the ini­tia­tive in a 1-12 to 0-15 draw in the Per­ma­nent TSB Ju­nior ‘B’ hurl­ing cham­pi­onship semi-fi­nal at an un­sea­son­ably warm Monamolin on Satur­day.

The Mel­lows had bat­tled back from a 0-7 to 0-4 deficit at the in­ter­val to storm back into con­tention, and while a late free in front of the posts from Barry Dunne looked to have booked Oyle­gate-Glen­brien’s ticket to the fi­nal against Rath­garogue-Cushin­stown, there was still enough time for the en­er­getic Jody O’Shaugh­nessy to sal­vage a dra­matic draw.

In truth, it was the fairest re­sult, with the Liam Mel­lows de­fence mak­ing up for a lack of pace with a se­ri­ous amount of heart, and young­ster Chris Cal­lanan on form up front, although he was cry­ing out for a bit of sup­port in the scor­ing stakes.

For Oyle­gate-Glen­brien, Marty Kelly pulled the strings won­der­fully in mid­field, and Joe Dunne was a con­stant threat in the left cor­ner, pick­ing off two points in the firsthalf to help his side into that rel­a­tive safety by the change of ends.

Be­fore that, the game took the form of a free-tak­ing con­test be­tween the re­spec­tive num­ber twelves, with Barry Dunne flight­ing over four such scores, and Cal­lanan reg­is­ter­ing three for Mel­lows.

The big talk­ing point of the half ar­rived two min­utes into in­jury time when a wild pull from Ai­dan Mur­phy was go­ing to yield a red card any­way, but when Stephen Gar­diner en­tered the scene to stand up for his stricken team-mate, he too was shown a red card.

That dis­missal seemed to gal­vanise the Cool­gre­any men though, as two Cal­lanan points (one free) sand­wiched a point apiece from Colm Mor­ris and O’Shaugh­nessy as they edged 0-8 to 0-7 in front.

Dunne (’65) and Eoin O’Ma­honey re­stored Oyle­gate-Glen­brien’s lead, but sub­si­ti­tutes Donie Ka­vanagh and Rob­bie Brooks com­bined for the lat­ter to ri­fle in a bril­liant goal on 44 min­utes.

And Mel­lows held onto that lead deep into the fourth quar­ter un­til points from O’Ma­honey again and Dunne from a free hug­ging the side­line re­stored bal­ance for the penul­ti­mate time.

Dunne’s late free nudged Oyle­gate-Glen­brien in front once more, only for O’Shaugh­nessy to pop up un­marked to save Liam Mel­lows’ ba­con af­ter some un­selfish buildup play from Brooks.

Liam Mel­lows: Mark Kennedy; Dessie Doyle, Barry McG­lynn, Frankie Ka­vanagh; Peter Fog­a­rty (capt.), Noel Mor­ris, Patsy McG­lynn; Colm Mor­ris (0-1), Jody O’Shaugh­nessy (0-3); An­thony Master­son, Stephen Gar­diner, Chris Cal­lanan (0-8, 7 frees); Shane Halpin, Eoin Cullen, Seán Roche. Subs. - Donie Ka­vanagh for Roche (HT), Alan Halvey for Halpin (HT), Rob­bie Brooks (1-0) for Cullen (37), Tommy Dixon for P. McG­lynn (55).

Oyle­gate-Glen­brien: Kevin Cos­grave; Ai­dan Mur­phy, Pádraic O’Con­nor, Evan Kelly; Peter Row­ley, Niall Parker, Gary Con­roy; Marty Kelly (joint capt., 0-1), An­thony Doyle; Conor Nolan, Pa­trick Cullen, Barry Dunne (joint capt., 0-10, 7 frees, 2 ‘65s); Barry Doyle, Eoin O’Ma­honey (0-2), Joe Dunne (0-2). Sub. - Peter Nolan for B. Doyle (47).

Ref­eree: Brian O’Leary (Cross­abeg Bal­ly­murn).

Liam Mel­lows goal­keeper Mark Kennedy and Patsy McG­lynn com­bine to thrwart Fi­achra Houri­hane of Oyle­gate-Glen­brien.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland

© PressReader. All rights reserved.