Strong fight­back puts Boyz in semis

Jamaica Gleaner - - SPORTS -

T&T elim­i­nated af­ter shock loss against Mar­tinique

ST JOHN’S, An­tigua (CMC): AMAICA’S REG­GAE Boyz re­mained on course for a spot in the semi-fi­nals, as they ral­lied from two goals down to thump a de­fi­ant Guyana 4-2 in ex­tra-time, in Group One ac­tion of the Caribbean Foot­ball Union (CFU) Sco­tia Bank Caribbean Cup on Tues­day night at the Leonora Sta­dium in Ge­orge­town, Guyana.

The game was locked 2-2 at the end of reg­u­la­tion time.

Canada-born Adrian But­ters put the hosts ahead in the sev­enth minute and dou­bled the lead in the 29th, to leave the Reg­gae Boyz with a huge task on their hands at half-time.

But the reign­ing Caribbean Cup cham­pi­ons be­gan their come­back in the 63rd

Jminute when New Eng­land Rev­o­lu­tion’s Je-Vaughn Wat­son scored from close range and they were back on level terms when Di­coy Wil­liams struck a timely equaliser at the death, net­ting in the 88th minute.

With the mo­men­tum be­hind them, Ja­maica took con­trol of the game in ex­tra time with Shaun Fran­cis and Cory Burke scor­ing within the space of six min­utes late in the sec­ond pe­riod.

Ja­maica and Suri­name – which beat Guyana 3-2 – now both have three points and will face each other in a game which was resched­uled from Oc­to­ber 5, due to the pas­sage of Hur­ri­cane Matthew.

Or­gan­is­ers the Caribbean Foot­ball Wil­liams ... Res­cued Ja­maica with 88th-minute equaliser. Union are yet to an­nounce a date for the fix­ture, the win­ner of which will ad­vance to the semi-fi­nals.


Mean­while, Trinidad and Tobago were dumped from the CFU tour­na­ment af­ter they con­ceded twice in ex­tra time, to go down 2-0 to hosts Mar­tinique in Fort-de-France.

Play­ing in their last game of the third round at the Stade Pierre-Aliker, T&T failed to find a way past the French na­tion’s de­fence and scores were locked nil-all at the end of full-time.

The Soca War­riors were then stunned twice as Kevin Parse­main scored in the 105th minute and Steeven Langil in the 120th, to end the vis­i­tors’ chances of ad­vanc­ing to the fi­nal four.

T&T suf­fered a ma­jor set­back be­fore a ball was kicked when Or­lando City for­ward Kevin Molino was dropped for the game due to dis­ci­plinary rea­sons. Then 15 min­utes af­ter the start, cap­tain and tal­is­man Ken­wyne Jones limped off with in­jury.

With­out them, T&T still man­aged to cre­ate a cou­ple of chances with both Levi Gar­cia and Jo­evin Jones hit­ting the wood­work in the open­ing half.

The War­riors ended sec­ond on three points in Group Four, with un­beaten Mar­tinique top with six points.

In San Juan, Cu­ra­cao trounced Puerto Rico 4-2 at the Juan Ra­mon Loubriel Sta­dium to cap­ture Group Three with six points and ad­vance to the fi­nal four.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.