Len­non shocker!

Jamaica Gleaner - - SPORTS - Paul Clarke Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BU­REAU: ENNON’S HEAD coach, Mer­ron Gor­don said his team showed class and a strong de­ter­mi­na­tion to reach the fi­nal of the 2016 ISSA/FLOW Ben Fran­cis Cup Knock­out com­pe­ti­tion, af­ter tag­ging Corn­wall Col­lege 1-0 in their semi-fi­nal clash in Santa Cruz yes­ter­day.

They will now meet the de­fend­ing cham­pi­ons St El­iz­a­beth Tech­ni­cal in Fri­day’s fi­nal to be played at the Manch­ester High School field.

Fitzroy Cum­mings, the Len­non cap­tain fired home the lone goal of a rather dull con­test from the penalty spot in the 61st minute, af­ter he was brought down in­side the area by Corn­wall Col­lege’s Dwayne Hard­ing.

“I told my play­ers to en­joy the match, and you saw that in this match. We were bounc­ing about with our passes, while keeping Corn­wall’s dan­ger play­ers in check. Tac­ti­cally, it was a great match for us to make the fi­nal from,” said Gor­don.

Corn­wall Col­lege, it seemed, were still suf­fer­ing from last Satur­day’s loss in the fi­nal of the Flow Su­per Cup, and their coach Dr. Dean Weatherly put it all down to fa­tigue, as a re­sult of the long trav­els in re­cent days.

“We weren’t pounc­ing today. We lacked the punch you nor­mally see from us,” said Dr. Weatherly, “I think it has to do with the trav­el­ling, which took a lot out of our play­ers against a team like Len­non.”

LCorn­wall Col­lege de­fender Howard Dent (left) looks to clear the ball, just as Len­non for­ward Ryan Mor­ri­son steps in to block his path, dur­ing their Ben Fran­cis KO semi-fi­nal at the St El­iz­a­beth Tech­ni­cal Sports Com­plex. Len­non won the game 1-0 to ad­vance to Fri­day’s fi­nal against STETHS.

Fa­tigue, or not, Len­non never gave them any real look at goal, ex­cept late in the se­cond half, when their goal­keeper Ty­rone Mullings was twice forced into su­perb saves to keep his team in front, both off cor­ner kicks from Jour­daine Fletcher.

His strike part­ner Peter-Lee Vas­sell had lit­tle to no im­pact on the game and that in fact summed up their af­ter­noon, as the two are ar­guably the best front two in school­boy foot­ball.

Ryan Mor­ri­son should have scored for Len­non in the 20th minute, when the Corn­wall goal­keeper Ja­mario Hines let

the ball slip from his grasp, but the fol­low-up ef­fort slid wide of the goal.


They then turned on the skill, with Christo­pher Ran­dall, Kwesi Watts and Mor­ri­son putting their re­spec­tive skill set on open dis­play, as the half ended in a 0-0 score­line with lit­tle ef­fort from the highly-rated Corn­wall Col­lege unit.

Then in the 61st, Watts won a penalty, af­ter he was pulled down while on the at­tack for the ref­eree to point to the spot.

Up stepped the big de­fender Cum­mings to fire home for the

lead, leav­ing the Corn­wall team de­jected.

They would re­spond with a se­ries of raids with only the goals be­ing the miss­ing com­po­nent, as Len­non will meet a fa­mil­iar foe in Fri­day’s ti­tle match, which is promis­ing to be a real humdinger in wait­ing.

“It is a very good feel­ing; I think we de­serve the win. We came into the match not wor­ried about our op­po­nents, who are a qual­ity bunch, but we played like how we planned and that’s all that mat­ters in giv­ing us this im­por­tant vic­tory. Now it’s onto meet­ing STETHS,” stated Gor­don.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.