‘These chil­dren have some bad habits’

Jamaica Gleaner - - ENTERTAINMENT - Or­lean BrownEarle Or­lean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psy­chol­o­gist and fam­ily ther­a­pist. Dr BrownEarle works with chil­dren with learn­ing and be­havioural prob­lems through­out the is­land and in the Caribbean. Email ques­tions to ed­i­tor@glean­erjm.com or send

QI am tired of pick­ing up af­ter the chil­dren I work for. Their par­ents are the same. How can I help the chil­dren to change?

AAsk the par­ents if they will help you to change the bad habits of the chil­dren by re­ward­ing them when they do the right things. If not, you can re­ward them with pos­i­tive state­ments and treats where avail­able.

QI need to know if a psy­chol­o­gist is re­ally qual­i­fied. How can I find this out?

AYou can con­tact the Ja­maican Psy­cho­log­i­cal So­ci­ety and ask if the per­son is li­censed to prac­tise in Ja­maica. All psy­chol­o­gists must now be li­censed or they will not be recog­nised in Ja­maica.

QAt 17, I am in col­lege and bored. There is no chal­lenge here.

AAs this is only your first se­mes­ter, it will seem pretty easy, but the more chal­leng­ing work is on its way. Get in­volved with a club and have fun un­til you are fur­ther chal­lenged.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Jamaica

© PressReader. All rights reserved.