Fury, Joshua agree to two-fight deal
AN ALL-BRITISH world heavyweight title showdown between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury in 2021 is a step closer.
Fury said yesterday that an agreement has been reached with Joshua’s camp on a two-fight deal between the current holders of the heavyweight belts.
“The biggest fight in British boxing history has just been agreed,” Fury said in a video message posted on Twitter. “Twofight deal.”
Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, earlier yesterday told British broadcaster Sky Sports that the camps had agreed to two fights.
“We’re in a good place,” Hearn said. “It’s fair to say that, in principle, both guys have agreed to that fight. Two fights.”
Specific dates and venues have not been finalised and contracts have not been signed, but Hearn said the sides have agreed on the financial terms.
“The first fight could happen next summer,” Hearn said, although he acknowledged that “there is still a lot to overcome.”
First, Fury plans to fight Deontay Wilder for a third time. Fury’s promoter, Bob Arum, told The Associated Press on Monday that Fury “owes” Wilder a third fight after claiming the WBC belt off the American with a seventh-round stoppage in February.
On Wednesday, Fury described a third Wilder fight as a “hurdle.”
“I’ve just got to smash Deontay Wilder’s face right in, in the next fight, and then we go into the Joshua fight next year,” Fury said.
Arum, the CEO of Top Rank, said they’re shooting for November or December. Only then would Fury turn his attention to Joshua, who is the WBA, IBF and WBO titleholder, Arum said.
Fury also has a mandatory title defence against Dillian Whyte. Joshua is also set to fight this year, against mandatory IBF challenger Kubrat Pulev.
Tyson Fury (right) lands a right to Deontay Wilder during a WBC heavyweight championship boxing match in Las Vegas earlier this year.