Kyr­gios to seek psy­chol­o­gist help after ATP ban threat

Kuwait Times - - SPORTS -

LON­DON: Way­ward tennis star Nick Kyr­gios will seek psy­cho­log­i­cal help to avoid an eight week ban or­dered by the ATP for a tantrum at the Shang­hai Masters, Tennis Aus­tralia said yes­ter­day. The ATP or­dered a $25,000 (22,700 euros) fine and said a three week ban would be in­creased to eight weeks if the 21-year-old Kyr­gios did not seek help for his tem­per.

The world num­ber 14 gave away points and swore and ar­gued with fans be­fore be­ing booed off court after his 6-3, 6-1 de­feat by Mis­cha Zverev in his sec­ond round match last week.

Tennis Aus­tralia said in a state­ment that it would sup­port Kyr­gios. “Nick’s health and well­be­ing is a pri­or­ity and the ATP has of­fered a re­duced penalty on the pro­vi­sion that he seeks ap­pro­pri­ate pro­fes­sional ad­vice, which he has agreed to do,” said a state­ment by the Aus­tralian body. Kyr­gios apol­o­gised again for his be­hav­iour in Shang­hai. “The sea­son has been a long one as I bat­tled sev­eral in­juries and other chal­lenges to­wards the end of the sum­mer,” he said in a state­ment. “My body fi­nally just gave out in Shang­hai both phys­i­cally and men­tally. “This is no ex­cuse, and I know very well that I need to apol­o­gise to the fans - in Shang­hai and other parts of the world - as well as the tour­na­ment or­gan­is­ers in Shang­hai who do an amaz­ing job.”

Kyr­gios said he “re­gret­ted how his year was end­ing.” “I do un­der­stand and re­spect the de­ci­sion by the ATP and I will use this time off to im­prove on and off the court.”

The $25,000 ATP fine will be added to a $16,500 penalty or­dered last week. The Shang­hai out­burst was the lat­est in a long line of in­ci­dents in­volv­ing the Aus­tralian. Last year he was given a sus­pended one-month ban for mak­ing com­ments to Stan Wawrinka about his wife.

“Nick’s con­duct in Shang­hai was un­ac­cept­able, dis­re­spect­ful to the sport and its fans,” said ATP ex­ec­u­tive chair­man Chris Ker­mode. “We take these mat­ters very se­ri­ously and he has since apol­o­gised for his ac­tions.

“Nick is a phe­nom­e­nal tal­ent and our hope is that he uses this time away from the tour con­struc­tively and, with some sup­port, is able to re­turn to com­pe­ti­tion with an im­proved mind­set and stronger than ever be­fore.” The ATP said that after an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the Aus­tralian’s sec­ond round match in Shang­hai, Kyr­gios had been found guilty of con­duct con­trary to the in­tegrity of the game.

This meant an ad­di­tional fine and an im­me­di­ate eight week sus­pen­sion. “How­ever, the sus­pen­sion will be re­duced to three tour­na­ment weeks upon agree­ment that the player en­ters a plan of care un­der the di­rec­tion of a sports psy­chol­o­gist, or an equiv­a­lent plan ap­proved by ATP.” If Kyr­gios agrees to see a psy­chol­o­gist he could re­turn to the tour on Novem­ber 7, after the three week ban.

As he would have no more tour­na­ments to play, even the three week ban means that Kyr­gios’s year is ef­fec­tively over.

“We have spo­ken to his man­age­ment and Nick has agreed to seek the help of a sports psy­chol­o­gist and will now be avail­able to play in the Hop­man Cup in early Jan­uary,” a Tennis Aus­tralia spokesper­son said.

—AFP

ES­TO­RIL: This file photo taken on May 2, 2015 in Es­to­ril shows Aus­tralian Nick Kyr­gios cel­e­brat­ing a point over Span­ish Pablo Busta dur­ing the semi-fi­nal Es­to­ril Open Tennis tour­na­ment. Way­ward tennis star Nick Kyr­gios will seek psy­cho­log­i­cal help to avoid an eight week ban or­dered by the ATP for a tantrum at the Shang­hai Masters, Tennis Aus­tralia said yes­ter­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.