In­jured Kl­itschko gives no thought to re­tir­ing

Kuwait Times - - SPORTS -

BERLIN:

For­mer world heavy­weight cham­pion Wladimir Kl­itschko says he is not con­tem­plat­ing re­tire­ment de­spite hav­ing seen three ti­tle bouts fall through this year. “I’ve never thought about stop­ping, not once, after the de­feat and los­ing my belts,” Kl­itschko, who lost his IBF, WBO and WBA ti­tles to Tyson Fury last Novem­ber, told Ger­man daily Bild. “As long as I can per­form in the ring, am fit and mo­ti­vated, I’ll keep go­ing. “I want to box in March or April against IBF world cham­pion An­thony Joshua. “That’ll be the big­gest heavy­weight fight for years and hope­fully it’ll be for three ti­tles.” Ham­burg-based Kl­itschko, who turns 41 next March, has en­dured a frus­trat­ing 2016. His re­match against Fury had been set for July 9, only for an in­jury to force the Bri­tish fighter out. Fury then pulled out of a se­cond bout sched­uled for this Satur­day as he bat­tles de­pres­sion. Ear­lier this month, Fury’s li­cence to box was sus­pended by the Bri­tish Box­ing Board of Con­trol. Fury has va­cated the World Box­ing Or­gan­i­sa­tion (WBO) and World Box­ing As­so­ci­a­tion (WBA) ti­tles he still held to fo­cus on his re­cov­ery.—AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.