Deeney’s 100th goal de­nies Al­lardyce win

Kuwait Times - - SPORTS -

WAT­FORD: Troy Deeney’s 100th goal for Wat­ford de­nied for­mer Eng­land man­ager Sam Al­lardyce a win­ning re­turn to the Premier League as his Crystal Palace side were held to a 1-1 draw at Vicarage Road yes­ter­day.

Deeney, who had been dropped from the start­ing XI af­ter fail­ing to score in the past 10 matches, con­verted from the penalty spot in the sec­ond half to force a share of the points.

Yo­han Cabaye-who scored the win­ner in the cor­re­spond­ing match last sea­son-had given Palace the lead in the first half and Al­lardyce, in­stalled af­ter Alan Pardew was sacked last Thurs­day, could have been cel­e­brat­ing all the points if Chris­tian Ben­teke had con­verted a first-half penalty. The draw leaves Palace pre­car­i­ously placed fourth from bot­tom on 16 points and they could drop into the bot­tom three if Sun­der­land beat Manch­ester United later. Wat­ford’s form has slipped alarm­ingly with just one win in their last six games, and the draw ex­tended their woe­ful Box­ing Day record of not hav­ing won for 30 years. Wat­ford suf­fered two early in­jury blows as they lost both Dutch de­fender Daryl Jan­maat and Swiss mid­fielder Valon Behrami be­fore the quar­ter-hour mark. It took al­most 25 min­utes for ei­ther side to fash­ion a chance with Palace even­tu­ally the ones to threaten. Ben­teke could have shot af­ter work­ing him­self into a great po­si­tion but dal­lied too long-the ball came to Cabaye whose shot went wide of the post. A minute later the tal­ented French­man made no mis­take from in­side the box af­ter be­ing su­perbly set up by An­dros Towsend. Played on­side by com­pa­triot Younes Kaboul, the 30-year-old made no mis­take. Palace should have gone 2-0 up in the 37th minute when a wild chal­lenge by Wat­ford goal­keeper Heurelho Gomes on Ben­teke gifted the vis­i­tors a penalty-the Brazil­ian was for­tu­nate to es­cape with­out even a book­ing from ref­eree Mark Clat­ten­burg.

Gomes, though, re­deemed him­self, get­ting down to save Ben­teke’s soft penalty which was the Bel­gian in­ter­na­tional’s sec­ond miss from the spot this term. Wat­ford took the game to Palace in the open­ing ex­changes of the sec­ond half but fash­ioned very lit­tle in the way of chances.

How­ever, they got the break they needed with 20 min­utes re­main­ing when Damien De­laney was pe­nalised for tug­ging Sebastian Proedl’s shirt in the box and Deeney drilled the re­sult­ing spot-kick down the mid­dle.— AFP

WAT­FORD: Wat­ford’s French mid­fielder Younes Kaboul (L) clears the ball un­der pres­sure from Crystal Palace’s Zaire-born Bel­gian striker Chris­tian Ben­teke dur­ing the English Premier League foot­ball match be­tween Wat­ford and Crystal Palace at Vicarage Road Sta­dium in Wat­ford, north of Lon­don yes­ter­day. The game fin­ished 1-1. — AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Kuwait

© PressReader. All rights reserved.