Embark on a spiritual journey
The village of Hasroun is predominantly Maronite, known for its many historic religious sites that draw crowds of pilgrims each year. One of the earliest texts mentioning the village dates back to the late 13th century in Bishop Abraham Al-hadathy’s writings. It documents the invasion of Hasroun and the persecution of its people, suggesting that the village was populated even prior to that time. The church of St. Jude is one of the most important archaeological landmarks to visit and some sources trace its construction back to Crusader times. St. Jude, one of the 12 Apostles of Jesus, is also the Patron Saint of Hasroun, thus the church holds great symbolic value. It is characterized by a short bell tower and a low, arched entrance, carved out of the stone wall that surrounds it. Next to St. Jude is Al Saydeh church. Built in the 19th century it was renovated in 1918, its clock and arcade added in 1924. The bell rings on the hour, five minutes past and half past. Another mechanism marks the day of the month. The clock has to be winded manually twice a week. A short walk from Hasroun is the Patriarchate of the Maronite church, located at the top of the mountain in Dimane. The building was constructed in 1938 and offers spectacular views of the Qadisha Valley.