The designer’s life by the num­bers.

Harper’s Bazaar (Malaysia) - - The Style Bazaar -

7AM I use the alarm of my hus­band [ac­ces­sories designer Jérôme Drey­fuss], but we al­most don’t need any clock to wake up – we have in­ner timers. The first thing I do is boil wa­ter for my tea. Right now I’m hav­ing chai with rice milk. Some­times I’m into cof­fee, but my tastes are chang­ing; I’m not very loyal. 7.10AM I wake up my 11-year-old son, Tal, and pick out his clothes. If I leave it to him, he’ll wear only jog­gings. He likes the sweat­shirts and sweaters from my H&M col­lab­o­ra­tion, and if my hus­band’s sweaters shrink they go to Tal – he has a hun­dred Comme des Garçons sweaters with the lit­tle heart logo. 7.15AM I al­ways wear the same thing be­cause dur­ing the day I change 10 or 15 times, try­ing on the clothes for my col­lec­tions. I have a fit model, but I like to try on the clothes first. I have flat shoes, a tight pair of jeans, a cash­mere sweater, and a jacket. I carry a leather-and-suede bag from the old col­lec­tion, with red lip­stick in­side – al­ways Chanel – L’Oréal Mil­lion Lashes mas­cara, and sam­ples of face cream and Chanel N˚19 per­fume. 7.30AM Dur­ing the week I drive my scooter to the swim­ming pool in St.-Ger­main ev­ery morn­ing. I need this to breathe and to han­dle my stress­ful days. It’s a pool from the be­gin­ning of the last cen­tury. I love that you get your own cabine, so you don’t have to go into a locker room. I wear an Adi­das one-piece, and I of­ten use small fins and do about 35 laps. 8.30AM I al­most never wash at home, al­ways at the pool. I use Weleda laven­der soap, and Moroc­canoil sham­poo and hair oil be­cause the pool makes my hair dry. I al­ways tie it up; I don’t have very nice hair – it’s quite thin – and I don’t feel com­fort­able hav­ing it in my face. I have a lot of grey hairs, and I just leave them. I don’t have time to go to the hair­dresser, and I’m afraid I’m not go­ing to be my­self any­more if I do. 8.40AM I stop at a juice bar and get a car­rot-and-gin­ger juice. You al­ways have a good tan when you drink car­rot juice. 8.45AM When I get to the of­fice, I have a black cof­fee – Amer­i­can-style, not espresso. It’s more like a big mug of wa­tery cof­fee. It’s not very French. Then I check my e-mail and let­ters, or­gan­ise my sched­ule and in­ter­view re­quests, and an­swer ques­tions from my team. 10AM I start to work on my de­signs and do fit­tings. My stu­dio is a big, open space with high ceil­ings. We’ve all worked to­gether for a long time, so it’s quite peace­ful and cosy. 1PM Ev­ery­one goes out for lunch, but most of the time I’m do­ing in­ter­views or ap­point­ments. If not, I stay in the of­fice and have food de­liv­ered: yak­i­tori or sand­wiches or Chi­nese or Ja­panese food, some­times a baguette with ham and but­ter, and more cof­fee. I think I drink four a day, all wa­tery. I eat in about 15 min­utes, then do things like re­search or choos­ing colours. I’m al­ways sur­rounded by peo­ple, so I need to be alone and re­set my mind, you know? 2PM My de­sign team comes back, and we start again with fit­tings or prints. I al­ways wear tight jeans or leather leg­gings be­cause I’m on my knees pin­ning things a lot, so I’m not go­ing to wear a nice

dress. I wear very nor­mal, com­fort­able things. And I drink wa­ter, a lot of Per­rier, I must

Is­abel Marant

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.