8 REL­E­VANT AR­EAS BE­ING LOOKED INTO

3rd In­terim State­ment re­leased; fi­nal re­port out in com­ing months

New Straits Times - - News / Nation - KUALA LUMPUR

IN­VES­TI­GA­TORS are work­ing on fi­nal­is­ing anal­y­sis, find­ings/con­clu­sions and safety rec­om­men­da­tions on eight rel­e­vant ar­eas as­so­ci­ated with the dis­ap­pear­ance of Malaysia Air­lines Flight MH370.

The eight ar­eas be­ing re­viewed by the team are:

DI­VER­SION from Filed Flight Plan Route;

AIR Traf­fic Ser­vices Op­er­a­tions; FLIGHT Crew Pro­file; AIRWORTHINESS and Main­te­nance and Air­craft Sys­tems; SATEL­LITE Com­mu­ni­ca­tions;

WRECK­AGE and Im­pact In­for­ma­tion;

OR­GAN­I­SA­TION and Man­age­ment In­for­ma­tion of the De­part­ment of Civil Avi­a­tion, Malaysia and Malaysia Air­lines; and,

AIR­CRAFT Cargo Con­sign­ment. The eight rec­om­men­da­tions were pro­posed in the 3rd In­terim State­ment on the Safety In­ves­ti­ga­tion for MH370, which was re­leased yes­ter­day.

“It should be recog­nised that, with the air­craft wreck­age and flight recorders not found, there is a sig­nif­i­cant lack of vi­tal ev­i­dence avail­able to the team to de­ter­mine with any cer­tainty the rea­sons that the air­craft di­verted from its filed flight plan route,” said the state­ment.

It said de­spite the lim­i­ta­tions in avail­able ev­i­dence, the in­ves­ti­ga­tion had iden­ti­fied sev­eral key is­sues within the civil avi­a­tion sys­tem that could be im­proved to boost safety in the fu­ture.

It also said in­ves­ti­ga­tions into the cabin in­te­rior de­bris re­cov­ered from Flight MH370 sug­gested that the air­craft likely broke up.

How­ever, there was in­suf­fi­cient in­for­ma­tion to de­ter­mine if the air­craft broke up in the air or dur­ing im­pact with the ocean, the state­ment said.

The state­ment, which was made avail­able on the MH370.gov.my web­site also said the dam­age ex­am­i­na­tion on the re­cov­ered part of the right out­board flap, to­gether with the dam­age found on the right flap­eron, had led to the con­clu­sion that the flaps were most likely in the re­tracted po­si­tion.

“At the time of writ­ing this state­ment, ad­di­tional parts are be­ing found along the coasts of south-east Africa. Ex­am­i­na­tion of these items is con­tin­u­ing,” said the state­ment, which was is­sued on the third an­niver­sary of the in­ci­dent yes­ter­day.

“Fol­low­ing the Jan 17 MH370 Min­is­te­rial Tri­par­tite Com­mu­niqué’s de­ci­sion to sus­pend the un­der­wa­ter search for the air­craft, a fi­nal re­port on the dis­ap­pear­ance of Flight MH370 will be made pub­licly avail­able in the months ahead,” it said.

The 3rd In­terim State­ment was is­sued to pro­vide in­for­ma­tion on the progress of the in­ves­ti­ga­tion on the dis­ap­pear­ance of Flight MH370 pend­ing the com­ple­tion of the fi­nal re­port.

The Bei­jing-bound in­ter­na­tional sched­uled passenger flight, car­ry­ing 239 per­sons — com­pris­ing 227 pas­sen­gers and 12 crew on board — departed from Kuala Lumpur In­ter­na­tional Air­port at 12.42am on March 8, 2014.

Less than 40 min­utes af­ter take­off, com­mu­ni­ca­tions with the air­craft was lost af­ter pass­ing way­point 3 IGARI, in the South China Sea.

On April 25, 2014, Malaysia es­tab­lished an in­de­pen­dent in­ter­na­tional Air Ac­ci­dent In­ves­ti­ga­tion Team, known as “The Malaysian ICAO Annex 13 Safety In­ves­ti­ga­tion Team for MH370” to in­ves­ti­gate the dis­ap­pear­ance of Flight MH370.

The team, headed by the in­ves­ti­ga­tor-in-charge, com­prises 19 Malaysians and seven ac­cred­ited rep­re­sen­ta­tives of seven safety in­ves­ti­ga­tion au­thor­i­ties from seven coun­tries.

Pre­vi­ously two other in­terim state­ments were made by the team.

The first in­terim state­ment and the Fac­tual In­for­ma­tion on the Safety In­ves­ti­ga­tion for MH370 were re­leased to the pub­lic on the first an­niver­sary of the dis­ap­pear­ance of Flight MH370 in 2015, fol­lowed by the sec­ond in­terim state­ment on March 8 last year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.