A-GC of­fi­cers visit HKL mor­tu­ary

New Straits Times - - News -

KUALA LUMPUR: As the count­down to the trial of two women ac­cused of mur­der­ing Kim Jong­nam be­gins, prepa­ra­tions by both the pros­e­cu­tion and de­fence teams are get­ting more in­tense.

At the Kuala Lumpur Hospi­tal (HKL) mor­tu­ary yes­ter­day, two peo­ple, be­lieved to be from the At­tor­ney-Gen­eral’s Cham­bers, were seen en­ter­ing the premises about 11am, be­lieved to be part of the pre-trial prepa­ra­tions.

They spent al­most four hours at the mor­tu­ary where Jong­nam’s body is stored, leav­ing about 2.45pm.

It was not im­me­di­ately known what ex­actly the of­fi­cers did at the mor­tu­ary.

When ap­proached by jour­nal­ists, one of the of­fi­cers only said: “We came to dis­cuss a trial.”

Ef­forts to get them to elab­o­rate proved fu­tile as they with­drew upon re­al­is­ing that sev­eral cam­eras were pointed at them.

Two women have so far been charged with mur­der in con­nec­tion with the as­sas­si­na­tion of Jong-nam, the es­tranged half­brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

Siti Aisyah, 25, of In­done­sia, and Doan Thi Huong, 28, of Viet­nam, face the death penalty should they be con­victed of the mur­der charge un­der Sec­tion 302 of the Pe­nal Code.

The two women were al­leged to have rubbed a deadly nerve agent on Jong-nam’s face as he was about to check in for a flight at klia2 to Ma­cau on Feb 13.

He died in an am­bu­lance while be­ing taken to Pu­tra­jaya Hospi­tal.

Ear­lier, at 8.30am, a car car­ry­ing a foren­sics officer, be­lieved to be also in­volved in the case, was seen leav­ing the mor­tu­ary.

In­ter­est in the case seems to be dy­ing down, at least for the mo­ment, if the num­ber of jour­nal­ists sta­tioned out­side the mor­tu­ary is any­thing to go by.

At the height of the case, dozens of jour­nal­ists were camped across the road from the mor­tu­ary, be­gin­ning Feb 15 when Jong-nam’s body was trans­ferred to HKL from Pu­tra­jaya Hospi­tal.

As the weeks wore on and no new de­vel­op­ments were forth­com­ing, the num­ber of jour­nal­ists be­gan to dwin­dle.

This changed when, on March 10, In­spec­tor-Gen­eral of Po­lice Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar con­firmed that in­ves­ti­ga­tors had man­aged to pos­i­tively iden­tify the body of the North Korean man killed in klia2 as Jong-nam.

The num­ber of jour­nal­ists sta­tioned out­side the North Korean em­bassy has also dropped as ne­go­ti­a­tions be­tween Malaysia and North Korea con­tinue.

But the num­ber of jour­nal­ists out­side the em­bassy and HKL mor­tu­ary may soon grow again once the trial of the two women be­gins or should some­one — whether next of kin or em­bassy of­fi­cials — make a move to claim Jong-nam’s re­mains.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.