Main build­ing badly af­fected af­ter deadly fire on Oct 25 last year

New Straits Times - - News - AH­MAD FAIRUZ OTH­MAN JO­HOR BARU news@nst.com.my

THE Sul­tanah Ami­nah Hospi­tal’s (HSA) main build­ing is now grad­u­ally com­ing back to life, five months af­ter a blaze saw six pa­tients killed in the big­gest fire tragedy in­volv­ing a hospi­tal in the coun­try.

Six­teen wards with a to­tal of 500 beds re­sumed their ser­vices ear­lier this month, in­clud­ing the Emer­gency and Trauma De­part­ment, which is now up and run­ning again.

Many wards in the western wing, which had been closed tem­po­rar­ily for re­pairs and thor­ough checks by con­trac­tors, have also re-opened.

Hospi­tal di­rec­tor Dr Aman Rabu said only the In­ten­sive Care Unit and the Car­dio­tho­ra­sic In­ten­sive Unit re­mained closed for now.

“Out of the 18 wards af­fected by the over­all re­pairs work af­ter the fire, 16 have re­sumed op­er­a­tions since March 1.

“Among the wards serv­ing the pub­lic now are the Emer­gency and Trauma De­part­ment, ma­ter­nity wards and the op­er­a­tion theatre,” said Dr Aman.

Jo­hor Health and En­vi­ron­ment Com­mit­tee chair­man Datuk Ayub Rahmat had pre­vi­ously said that the re­pairs work at the HSA main build­ing were com­pleted three months ahead of sched­ule.

Ayub said the hospi­tal re­ceived an au­dit re­port from the Fire and Res­cue De­part­ment on Dec 8 last year, which rec­om­mended four short-term safety mea­sures to al­low the main build­ing to re­sume op­er­a­tions.

The four mea­sures were to con­duct a Fire Safety Or­gan­i­sa­tional Ba­sic Train­ing with the Fire and Res­cue De­part­ment, in­stall a fire alarm sys­tem, in­clude dry pow­der fire ex­tin­guish­ers at the hospi­tal and en­sure the path to ex­its were not blocked.

Mean­while, pa­tients and their fam­i­lies were re­lieved to know that the HSA main build­ing was op­er­at­ing again.

Ad­ver­tis­ing com­pany worker Chan­dran Man­ickam, 52, said his fam­ily pre­ferred to seek treat­ment at the hospi­tal due to its cen­tral lo­ca­tion.

He said his elder sis­ter, Alumene Man­ickam, 63, was warded dur­ing the fire last year and nurses and doc­tors helped to wheel her out of the ward to safety.

Food stall as­sis­tant Su­las­tri Man, 58, said she reg­u­larly took her hus­band, Mat Isa Salleh, 62, for fol­lowup checks for his liver ail­ment.

“It is closer to my house in Tam­poi com­pared with Sul­tan Is­mail Hospi­tal, which is a 30-minute drive.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.