Karanka sacked by Middlesbrough
LONDON: Aitor Karanka has left his job as Middlesbrough manager after discussions with the club.
The club confirmed the news in a statement on their website, which said the decision had been made as ‘ both parties have agreed that it is in the best interests of the club’.
It said: “The club would like to thank Aitor for all his hard work over the past three-and-a-half years and for the success we’ve had during that time. We wish him all the best for the future.”
The club website also featured a statement from Karanka, who leaves the club 19th in the Premier League and without a win in the league in 2017.
The message said: “I’d like to thank Middlesbrough for a wonderful opportunity and the players, staff and all the people at the club who I have worked with. I’d also like to thank the fans for their support.
“This club will always hold a special place for me and I wish everyone connected with Middlesbrough Football Club the very best for the future.”
Assistant manager Steve Ag- new takes charge of the first team with immediate effect.
Karanka joined Middlesbrough in November 13, 2013, and guided the club to the Premier League last season after reaching the play-off final in his first full season in charge.
The 43-year-old former Real Madrid defender, who was in his first full managerial role after serving as Jose Mourinho’s assistant at the Bernabeu, successfully took Boro back into the top flight following a sevenyear absence for the club. Daily Mail