Bus driver swerved to avoid an­i­mal, says cop

New Straits Times - - News -

BUT­TER­WORTH: The driver of the Shamisha Ex­press Bus in­volved in a crash at Km152 of the NorthSouth Ex­press­way, near the Bukit Tam­bun exit yes­ter­day, claimed the ac­ci­dent oc­curred as he was try­ing to steer clear of a cross­ing an­i­mal.

Se­berang Prai Se­la­tan district po­lice chief Su­per­in­ten­dent Shafee Abd Sa­mad said the 40year-old driver had made an eva­sive ac­tion when he saw the an­i­mal.

“He said the an­i­mal dashed from the left to the right side of the road, which force him to make an eva­sive ac­tion to avoid it.

“The bus skid­ded, swerv­ing to the right side of the road, be­fore crash­ing into a road di­vider,” Shafee said.

No­razah Az­izan, 29, was killed in the crash, which left 20 oth­ers in­jured.

The bus, which was head­ing north for Jitra, Kedah, from Ter­mi­nal Bersepadu Se­la­tan Kuala Lumpur, was fer­ry­ing 27 pas­sen­gers and two driv­ers, all of whom are be­tween 19 and 50.

Shafee said checks showed the bus driver had three sum­monses, which had yet to be set­tled, in­clud­ing a speed­ing of­fence in 2012.

He is ex­pected to be charged at the Jawi mag­is­trate’s court to­day un­der Sec­tion 41(1) of the Road Trans­port Act 1987 for caus­ing death by reck­less or dan­ger­ous driv­ing.

Mean­while, No­razah’s brother, Mohd Ridzuan Az­izan, 34, said his sis­ter had told him via the What­sApp ap­pli­ca­tion that she was head­ing home on Sun­day.

“I was puz­zled when I had not heard any­thing from her this morn­ing (yes­ter­day).

“She should have been home by dawn, but there was no mes­sage from her.

“My mother was no­ti­fied by the po­lice about her death about 10am, and only then, I got to know about it.

“I can’t be­lieve it... I refuse to be­lieve it (that she is dead),” Ridzuan said Se­berang Jaya Hospi­tal.

No­razah is a sin­gle mother of two chil­dren, ages 5 and 10, and has no per­ma­nent job.

She is the third among seven sib­lings, who sup­ported her fi­nan­cially, af­ter she got divorced a few years back.

He said the fam­ily had yet to tell No­razah’s chil­dren the bad news.

“It will be a dif­fi­cult task. I will let my mother tell them about it. She may take care of them,” he added.

No­razah’s body was claimed by her fam­ily at the hospi­tal at 4.35pm, and she was buried at her home­town in Pen­dang, Kedah, about 7pm.

Su­per­in­ten­dent Shafee Abd Sa­mad

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.