Cops will continue probe, says MCF
KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Chess Federation (MCF) has stopped its investigation into an incident where a 12-year-old participant was allegedly forced to withdraw from a chess tournament in Putrajaya last month for wearing a “seductive” dress.
MCF deputy president Tengku Ahmad Badli Shah Raja Hussin yesterday said the decision was made after a police report was filed by the tournament director, Sophian A. Yusuf.
“An investigation committee was formed on April 30. We will leave it to the police to investigate, hence, the federation discontinued the investigation.”
He said the investigation committee had determined that the player was never disqualified or forced to withdraw as alleged. Tengku Ahmad said MCF had nothing to do with the press conferences or statements made by the tournament director.
“We hope that the matter can be resolved amicably.
“The federation will extend its fullest cooperation,” he said.
It was reported that the girl was allegedly forced to withdraw from the competition as her dress was deemed “seductive”.
The issue began when the girl’s coach, Malaysian chess player Kaushal Kandhar, expressed his outrage at the event organisers on Facebook for their alleged treatment of the girl over her attire.
Kaushal then shared a photograph of the girl’s short-sleeved black-and-orange striped kneelength dress.
The tournament director has since claimed that he was not there when the incident occurred but was only informed of the situation at the end of the second game that same day.
When contacted yesterday, Kaushal said he was seeking legal advice.
However, he declined to comment further.
Meanwhile, Sophian said the chief arbiter was a Class A International Arbiter, adding that he would not comment further on the matter.
“I will let my lawyer handle it,” he said.
The chief arbiter and the girl’s mother could not be reached for comment.
Tengku Ahmad Badli Shah Raja Hussin