WADA to de­cide on Rus­sell

New Straits Times - - Sport -

KINGSTON: The de­ci­sion on whether West Indies all-rounder An­dre Rus­sell should serve a longer ban for breaches of the where­abouts rule now rested with the World Anti-Dop­ing Agency (WADA), ac­cord­ing to Ja­maica’s anti-dop­ing author­ity.

The Ja­maica Anti-Dop­ing Com­mis­sion (JADCO) dropped an ap­peal against the one-year ban im­posed on Rus­sell on Mon­day. They had been seek­ing to ex­tend it to two years.

“WADA has the right to take the mat­ter else­where,” JADCO chair­man Alexan­der Wil­liams told a me­dia con­fer­ence in Kingston. “That is up to them.”

Wil­liams said JADCO had been in dis­cus­sions with Ja­maica’s At­tor­ney Gen­eral Mar­lene Mala­hoo Forte about the is­sue be­fore the de­ci­sion was made on Fri­day to drop the ap­peal.

He was more than happy to ex­plain to the world gov­ern­ing body why they reached that de­ci­sion.

“We would have to ex­plain to WADA the rea­sons for the ap­peal be­ing with­drawn and I be­lieve we are com­fort­able in our ex­pla­na­tion,” he said while adding WADA could still take the case to the Court of Ar­bi­tra­tion for Sport (CAS).

The 29-year-old Rus­sell was given a one-year ban on Jan 31 af­ter he failed to file the nec­es­sary pa­per­work on his avail­abil­ity for drug test­ing three times in 2015, which con­sti­tuted a failed test ac­cord­ing to WADA rules. He had filed an ap­peal against the ban, which had now been with­drawn, the head of his le­gal team Patrick Fos­ter told Reuters.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.