Sin­ga­pore to re­spond to claim on Pu­lau Batu Puteh be­fore June 14

New Straits Times - - News -

PU­TRA­JAYA: Sin­ga­pore is ex­pected to re­spond be­fore June 14 to a move by Malaysia to claim own­er­ship of Pu­lau Batu Puteh .

Malaysia had on Feb 16 ap­plied for a re­view of a rul­ing made in 2008 by the In­ter­na­tional Court of Jus­tice (ICJ) that the is­land be­longed to Sin­ga­pore.

At­tor­ney-Gen­eral Tan Sri Mo­hamed Apandi Ali yes­ter­day said Malaysia would re­spond ac­cord­ingly once Sin­ga­pore replied to the ap­pli­ca­tion.

“The re­view, done by five re­searchers in Lon­don, is do­ing fine,” he said af­ter launch­ing the 17th Asean Se­nior Law Of­fi­cials Meet­ing.

“Re­searchers are work­ing on this ev­ery day, but it will take some time as they need to go through thou­sands of doc­u­ments from the archives.”

On Feb 16, Apandi an­nounced that he would lead a seven-mem­ber team com­pris­ing lo­cal and for­eign ex­perts to seek a re­vi­sion of the rul­ing.

This came two weeks af­ter Malaysia filed an ap­pli­ca­tion to re­view the ICJ judg­ment fol­low­ing the dis­cov­ery of new ev­i­dence.

Apandi had said Malaysia found ev­i­dence among some 3,000 doc­u­ments, which were de­clas­si­fied by the Bri­tish govern­ment in 2013.

He be­lieved that his team and the lat­est ev­i­dence could trans­fer own­er­ship of Pu­lau Batu Puteh to Malaysia.

The ICJ judg­ment in 2008 was cen­tred on a 1953 let­ter by the colo­nial sec­re­tary in Jo­hor to Sin­ga­pore of­fi­cials.

On another is­sue, Apandi said the Malaysian Anti-Cor­rup­tion Com­mis­sion was ex­pected to wrap up in­ves­ti­ga­tions into the trans­fer of money from SRC In­ter­na­tional into Prime Min­is­ter Datuk Seri Na­jib Razak’s ac­counts within a month.

He said he had never or­dered a halt to the in­ves­ti­ga­tions un­less there was new ev­i­dence that war­ranted a file to be re­opened.

He was com­ment­ing on me­dia re­ports that SRC In­ter­na­tional had trans­ferred RM42 mil­lion into Na­jib’s bank ac­counts via its sub­sidiaries be­tween De­cem­ber 2014 and Fe­bru­ary 2015.

“I don’t know what the re­sult (of the in­ves­ti­ga­tions) is, but my di­rec­tive is to wrap it up. I will give fur­ther in­struc­tion.”

Apandi said none of the files, in­clud­ing on 1Malaysia Devel­op­ment Bhd, had been closed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.