US teen dies of caf­feine over­dose

New Straits Times - - World -

MI­AMI: A caf­feinated drink, a cof­fee and an en­ergy soda proved a deadly com­bi­na­tion for a South Carolina teenager who died within two hours of con­sum­ing them, trig­ger­ing warn­ings about the risks of caf­feine over­dose.

Davis Allen Cripe died on April 26 from a “caf­feine-in­duced car­diac event caus­ing a prob­a­ble ar­rhyth­mia”, the Rich­land County coroner’s of­fice wrote in a state­ment.

Two hours be­fore he col­lapsed, Cripe drank a cafe latte, a large Diet Moun­tain Dew and an en­ergy drink.

Rich­land County coroner Gary Watts on Tues­day said such oc­cur­rences are “highly un­usual”.

“It was mainly due to the time pe­riod that he in­gested a rapid amount of caf­feine that af­fected his heart.”

Watts said Cripe had col­lapsed just 15 min­utes af­ter tak­ing the en­ergy drink.

The United States Food and Drug Ad­min­is­tra­tion rec­om­mends that adults con­sume no more than 400mg of caf­feine daily, which is equiv­a­lent to four or five cups of cof­fee. AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.