29-year-old pleads not guilty to abus­ing son, while boyfriend charged with mur­der

New Straits Times - - News -


A29-YEAR-OLD woman charged with abus­ing her 2-year-old son, who even­tu­ally died, burst into tears at the Ses­sions Court here yes­ter­day, claim­ing she had not hurt him.

Nor Soli­hah Ab­dul Ma­jid, a former day­care worker, was charged with abus­ing Muham­mad Adam Daniel Ab­dul Hafiz in a man­ner likely to cause phys­i­cal in­jury at a house at No 2, Jalan Kajang Impian Seksyen 7, Wangi, at 10pm on May 12.

Her boyfriend, Muham­mad Ro­haizat Tan, 39, was charged with mur­der­ing the boy near Kajang Plaza two weeks ago.

The charge was read out to her be­fore Judge Nori­dah Adam.

Soli­hah took five min­utes to re­gain her com­po­sure when asked by the judge whether she un­der­stood the charge.

Burst­ing into tears, she said she did not abuse Adam Daniel whom she had raised alone.

“He was my only son and I raised him alone… I did not do it,” she said, plead­ing not guilty.

The sin­gle mother was charged un­der Sec­tion 31(1)(a) of the Child Act 2001 and Sec­tion 31(2)(a) of the same act, which carry a max­i­mum 10 years’ jail, a fine of up to RM20,000 or both, upon con­vic­tion.

Deputy public pros­e­cu­tor Siti Noor Hafizan Zakaria asked for bail to be set at RM15,000 with one surety.

How­ever, Soli­hah, who was un­rep­re­sented, pleaded for a lower bail as she was un­em­ployed.

The court set bail at RM10,000 with one surety and fixed June 14 for men­tion.

Ro­haizat, a cook, was charged at the mag­is­trate’s court with mur­der­ing the boy at No. 14A, traf­fic sys­tem.

“Oth­er­wise, these would be just empty claims as no one has seen the lo­cal au­thor­i­ties do­ing field work in study­ing the traf­fic flow.”

Ra­makr­ish­nan dared the lo­cal au­thor­i­ties to hold a public di­a­logue and hear what lo­cals had to say about the sys­tem.

Traf­fic jams con­tinue to paral­yse the day-to-day ac­tiv­i­ties and had even af­fected nearby smaller towns of Kea Farm and Tanah Rata.

The busi­ness com­mu­nity, work­ers and res­i­dents in the town cen­tre said they had been badly af­fected by the move.

There had also been a num­ber Tingkat 1, Jalan Datuk Seri P. Ala­gen­dra 2, Kajang Plaza, be­tween 5am and 6.30am on May 13. No plea was recorded. Mag­is­trate Nor Afi­dah Idris set June 22 for men­tion.

Deputy public pros­e­cu­tor Me­gat Ma­hathir Tharih Afendi pros­e­cuted while the ac­cused was un­rep­re­sented.

It was re­ported that Soli­hah had sent her son to Kajang Hos­pi­tal af­ter he had dif­fi­culty breath­ing at 6.55am. of ac­ci­dents ever since the traf­fic sys­tem was in place.

“When lo­cal au­thor­i­ties get it wrong, they must own up to their mis­takes and be ac­count­able to the peo­ple,” said Ra­makr­ish­nan.

The traf­fic sys­tem was mooted by MDCH, the po­lice, Land Of­fice and PWD as a way to re­duce chronic road con­ges­tion in Cameron High­lands.

They came up with the so­lu­tion fol­low­ing a visit to the high­lands in Fe­bru­ary by Re­gent of Pa­hang Tengku Mahkota Tengku Ab­dul­lah Sul­tan Ah­mad Shah, who took note of the prob­lem.

It was im­ple­mented for a month start­ing March 17 and was

How­ever, Adam Daniel was pro­nounced dead min­utes later.

Kajang district po­lice chief As­sis­tant Com­mis­sioner Oth­man Nayan said a post-mortem found red marks and swelling on the boy’s body, as well as a bro­ken rib and rup­tured pan­creas, which had caused in­ter­nal bleed­ing.

The re­port stated that the boy had died of ab­dom­i­nal in­juries caused by blunt force trauma. then ex­tended for an­other month de­spite the ob­jec­tion of lo­cal folk.

In April, shops in Brin­chang closed for a day to protest the im­ple­men­ta­tion of the traf­fic sys­tem.

A sig­na­ture cam­paign was launched that saw more than 1,300 res­i­dents pe­ti­tion­ing against the one-way traf­fic.

De­spite the ob­jec­tions, Cameron High­lands po­lice chief Deputy Su­per­in­ten­dent Hasa­did A. Hamid said the max­i­mum de­lay caused by traf­fic jam dur­ing hol­i­day sea­son had in fact been re­duced from 90 to 45 min­utes, thanks to the one-way traf­fic.


Lo­cals claim the one-way traf­fic sys­tem in Cameron High­lands has failed to ease traf­fic con­ges­tion.


Nor Soli­hah Ab­dul Ma­jid be­ing led out of the court com­plex in Kajang on May 15.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Malaysia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.